Skip to main content

Ready or not...it's August!

I'm pretty sure every teacher cringes when the calendar changes to August 1st, maybe every mother too.  It marks the beginning of the end (oh yes, that sounds so dramatic! but true).  This year I did something different that any other year...I embraced August 1st and made it our new official back to school shopping day!  Last Friday, the kids and I headed out to tackle back-to-school shopping.  By far, the earliest I have ever gone. It really revved everyone up, and got their mind set on the fact school was starting soon.  Nothing like shiny new pencils, notebooks and backpacks!  We headed to Target, just me and the 4 kiddos.  Savannah, my little organizer, had everyone's lists organized and ready to check off.  It's kind of awesome how she took the lead on this.  She was clearly in charge of this project, so I stepped back and let her go!  She helped the little ones find all their things and neatly organize them in the cart, then she found hers.  She had a few stressful moments, but overall I still can't believe how she headed the whole thing up.  Bailey helped too, but was getting bored with the whole thing because he has no idea what he needs for high school (do they even give out supply lists in high school!).  When we headed to check out, she even asked the cashier to be sure to bag the supplies separately to avoid having to re-organize the supplies for each kid at home!  Loved it!

We had some lunch then headed out to Old Navy for $10 jeans and $5 t-shirts! Awesome!

Refueling for more back to school shopping!

Like clockwork, however, my work email started "dinging" off the hook on August 1.  I actually have to work Friday this week, Tuesday and Friday next week and then teacher work week starts for me August 18.  School things have started as well.  Bailey has orchestra camp this week at Health Careers, his new high school.  I started the week feeling confident and proud, not at all sentimental like I thought, wishing my boy was still little.  Instead, I was just proud of the amazing young man he has grown into.  However, this morning, I saw something that made my stomach flip and my heart ache just a bit...

What!?!?
Reality can be harsh! Ha!  Inside I don't feel over 20 something, how could I even have a child old enough for high school!  Must face the truth sometime! :)

We've still been doing as many summery, fun things as possible...trying to make memories to last a lifetime.


Summer fun at Lake Boerne


Game nights!

Special outings with my little ones!

Loved our library time this summer and are planning to keep it up once school starts!

Pool time shenanigans!

Barnes and Nobles kept us entertained on many occasions this summer!

B & N's Frozen family night!

Chillaxin at Nana's and Papa's on Sunday afternoon!  We
had just finished a mean game of kick ball!

We have a countdown on our August calendar...18 days left of summer.  There's still plenty to look forward to in the next few weeks.  Bailey has his first mini sleep away camp for YOSA, next weekend.  It'll be a great way to wrap up his summer.  Savannah's heading to Sea World today with a friend.  Jonas and Lorelei are pretty easy to please, so I'll find something special for them to cap off our awesome summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...