Skip to main content

Giving back to others...







This past Saturday, my mom had her 21st annual Symposium for Parkinson's disease.  Savannah has been an active volunteer with my mom's support groups since around second grade.  In the past two years, she become a regular part of the once a month support group meetings and a great help at their annual walk-a-thon and symposium.  She's made cupcakes for the silent auction for the past two years.  This year her cupcakes brought in $70.00!!  All donated to the American Parkinson's Association.  The National newsletter has decided to run a story on her volunteer work!  We are of course, proud of her generous heart.  She just loves these patients and let me tell you...they love her!  So many people came up to me to tell me just how much she means to them and how special she is...like I didn't already know! ;)

Bailey did a bit of volunteering at the Symposium as well, in his own way.  He and some friends created a string quintet called Cloud 9.  They have had two volunteer performances this month and a 3rd coming up this Sunday.  They performed at a local nursing home, and at the Symposium as background music during registration.  The patients loved it.  My mom said she received many e-mails complimenting the group and asking if they could perform again.  They are an amazing group of kids...talented and kind.  If you have an event or an idea where they could perform, please let me know! 

Lorelei joined in a bit too, with the giving back to others...mostly with her cuteness. ;) Jonas stayed home, but I know his kind heart will find a way to give back one day soon.  He's always been an amazing helper in his classroom, so I'm sure we'll find a way to get him involved where he feels comfortable.

I think my favorite part of the kids giving back to their community, is the fact that they both came up with these things on their own...no encouragement from me and not because they are trying to make service hours.  It's because they truly care about others.  And that makes a mama's heart swell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...