Skip to main content

Keeping it all in perspective...

Summer 2014 with the Boyen Bunch



Quote of the summer so far comes from Lorelei yesterday.  She was in shock to hear Bailey say "God isn't real."  Since 6th grade world history, my super analytical and highly intelligent son, began to question whether God existed.  His questioning came from perfect logic...how can all of the other religions be wrong and only Christians are right?  Being a parent who has decided to let my children discover religion for themselves, I haven't pushed the issue with him.  Back to Lorelei, so Bailey again made some comment about God not being real.  Lorelei suddenly seemed to have a very clear perspective of Bailey.  "Mommy," she said, "Now I know why Bailey is always so grouchy!  He doesn't believe in God!  Well, I do!"  And that was the end of that conversation! ;). I think she may be onto something, but it's something Bailey will have to figure out for himself.

~~~~~~~~~~


 
Our summer seemed a bit more on the normal side this morning.  Although last week was the official first week of summer, Savannah had her final surgery for her thyroidglossal duct cyst.  Talk about keeping things in perspective...Savannah was, of course not the only child having surgery that day. Two patients I overheard the stories on, were both there for recently diagnosed cancer.  Kids with cancer...those words shouldn't be allowed in the same sentences.  Other children were regulars, who were back again for one thing or another.  Although what Savannah went through wasn't easy, and she was for sure a real trooper, it pales in comparison to what some children and families face.  Her surgery was more major than planned, took 3 hours instead of two, required a three day, two night stay, instead of the simple overnight that was originally planned, but all in all, she's recovering beautifully! 


All smiles before...



Still smiling after!



A little Scrabble to pass the time.


Flowers from her Papa and a balloon from her Daddy.



A visit from a friend on Saturday after she got home.  She brought a quiet craft. :)


We may have to call this, the Summer of Cards.  It's been Savannah choice of activities
since she got home...Square, Trashcan, Go Fish, Skip Bo, Speed and we learned Shanghai too!


Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day with John.  Even though still in recovery mode, Savannah still found a way to make him breakfast!  With just a bit of help from me, she put together a lovely breakfast tray for her daddy!  Sweet girl!


Nice job Savannah!


Although we started our summer vacation with a major surgery and half a week in the hospital, I feel very blessed.  Now that it's over, our summer is truly underway.  Simple, quiet time at home this week in order to prepare for the big birthday trio coming up.  My niece Brieley turns six Friday, Savannah turns 12 Saturday and my sister Kim turns...well, she can share that number, her birthday is on Tuesday.  We'll be busy celebrating for sure!! 

I hope to soak in every bit of sun and fun this summer, because as we all know, it'll be over before we know it!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...