Skip to main content

Snow day...Texas style

We've been blessed with two, three day weekends in a row!  Why can't we just move to a 4 day work week all the time?  I would be such a calm and organized mom!  Regardless, I very much appreciate the time we have had the last two weekends.

Friday, schools were closed due to inclement weather.  Basically, there was sleet and ice.  No snow...bummer.  Most of it was melted by noon, but roads were closed all over town.  San Antonio is not equipped to handle icy roads.  We will take what we can get.  :)


I took this picture around noon.
The rest of the tree had melted, but this spot was closest to the house, out of the sun.


It was a super relaxed day around here: sleeping in, p.j.'s past noon, Legos, tea parties and afternoon naps.  We capped off the evening with Chinese take-out from our favorite local place.


Savannah and Jonas worked on a Stop animation Lego
movie all morning.

Sitting directly in front of the fireplace,
trying to stay extra warm.

Savannah held a tea party lunch for Jonas
and Lorelei in her room.  She took care of all details.
It was sweet!
 

Usually my Sundays are full of laundry, cleaning and grocery shopping, but today I'm a bit more ahead of the game than usual.  Shopping for the week was done yesterday, as was house cleaning.  It was easier to tackle on a Saturday, when I was already well rested from a Friday off! 
 

Birthday Reflections...

I'm looking forward to this week...it's my birthday Thursday, 41 years young. Check off year 40 as a successful one!  I accomplished some goals, both at home and in the classroom, as a teacher.  I'm most excited, that we were able to finally check off the list, a family vacation out of the state of Texas.  During my 40th year we took not one, but two trips to the Carolinas!  We fell in love with the Charlotte area so much, we are considering moving that direction, maybe in my 41st year. ;) 
I'll keep you posted on that idea. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...