Skip to main content

September=School haze...I mean days!

I've been swept away by this haze of school days since the Tuesday after Labor Day weekend.  Seriously, each week goes by faster than the one before.  Every time I turn around it's Friday again (who can complain about that right?).  Something happens to time once school starts up...I know it can't possibly be true, but why does time suddenly seem as if it's in fast forward.  Makes me think of one of John's favorite movies Click (mine too), with Adam Sandler.  Days zoom by in the press of a single remote button. The problem in real life...no pause button.  I feel like I can't catch my breath and keep up with this life of mine, flashing before my eyes.  Normally, as many of you know, I try my best to capture my life's moments via camera.  It's the closest thing to a pause button I have, but this month has been such a blur, I've barely taken a photo to catch these moments.  It's really been a great first month back to school, and I really can't complain, I just wish this thing called time would slow down.

Our routines are off to a well organized start.  The kids are working hard on homework, helping with dinner and even packing their own lunches in the evenings.  Our mornings are so much smoother this year than in the past.  It is a bit easier now that only Jonas and Lorelei go to school with me, while Bailey and Savannah catch the bus about 20 minutes after we leave, for middle school.  John's home with them and keeps them company and makes sure they make it to the bus.  After school activities are going strong still.  Gymnastics is every Wednesday for Lorelei.  Jonas goes with us now and I really enjoy my one on one time with him.  Savannah decided to take a break from gymnastics for a bit, so she could adjust to middle school, which is going beautifully for her.  Bailey is enjoying being the big man on campus...Mr. 8th grader.  He's been pretty good to his little sister, the 6th grader.  He's been extra busy with his music lately, playing both the violin and viola this year.  He's playing violin with the school's honor orchestra, but playing viola with a city group called YOSA (Youth Orchestra of San Antonio).  He enjoyed his summer camp so much with YOSA, that he decided to audition and made it into their symphony group with viola.  That now takes up our Sundays...rehearsals are from 1:00-3:30 at UTSA.  Our home is always full of music.  He's been inspiring me to play the piano more too.  He even goes as far as finding me music he likes, that he wants me to learn.  This week I've been working on a beautiful Scott Joplin piece called Bethena.  We heard it last week in the movie, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  We do love our movies on the weekends...good family bonding.  These moments at home help to make life feel a bit slower...evenings and weekends are certainly precious time.

Some moments I actually was able to pause for...


Friday nights are for catching up on zzzzz's

After school fun at home.

Sunday meals...a great roast in the pressure cooker! 


Projects already!!  Savannah's math project on factorization.

First spelling test=100% success!

Homework and hanging out with me while Lorelei's at gymnastics.
Little gymnast!


My big girl in her middle school PE uniform.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...