Skip to main content

Under construction...

John has got the re-modeling bug again and I couldn't be happier!! He's a talented and handy guy. He loves an excuse to learn something new and to buy a new tool of course! He started some projects back in October after taking a break from May. All the painting wore him out (I did help some and so did some professionals). He started with a simple project of putting a stain glass faux film on the windows by the front door. It was fast and not only provided the privacy he was looking for, but it also looks great!

Next project came in December and was a fabulous Christmas present! I got a beautiful farmhouse style porcelain kitchen sink. It's extra big and deep! He got a 7 inch grinder to cut the granite for that project. It was an enormous mess though. The fine dust created by cutting out granite covered everything!! I lost the use of the kitchen for a while, but it was worth it.

Last year, at the end of the winter season our gas fireplace went out. I so badly wanted it fixed. Luckily John found an insert on Craigslist for a great price, thus began the next project...re-doing the fireplace. That started in December and is still not finished, not because John doesn't work on it, but mainly because he keeps re- doing things after changing his mind about one detail or another. He torn out the tile in front if the fireplace, pulled out the old unit, re-plumbed the new unit, discovered there was no insulation behind the unit, installed more insulation than needed, built a support frame and is now finishing the trim work and flooring. I can't wait for the finished project!

While at Home Depot getting fireplace supplies, John got distracted in the paint department and decided to start re-facing the cabinetry. He started with our medicine cabinets first, but plans to do all cabinets and maybe even the doors. It a cool system of distressing by Rustoleum.

Flooring comes next, but we are waiting till spring break to tackle those. He's putting laminate wood floors in hand scraped hickory in the foyer, dining room, powder room, master bath and kitchen. A plush new carpet will be installed in the family room. Bailey opposed wood floors in the family room cause he loves laying on the floor! After some thought, we agreed with him! The floor will be a big job mainly because he'll have to pull out the existing tile! Messy!!

We've been in the house for 2 years and even though there has always been that look of "under construction", it is finally starting to feel like home. John has a ton more ideas for the outside and I haven't even really touched the upstairs!! But... It's still a great place to call home!

Faux stain glass privacy film.


Measure twice, cut once!!!


Adding insulation to the fireplace.


My pretty sink and new faucet!  Doesn't it look great!?


Getting closer...He added the stones at the bottom hearth area too.


Medicine cabinets.


Doesn't everyone use their dining room to paint cabinets!?!?!  Yikes!


Lots of wood flooring getting acclimated to our environment.


Did I mention John is a total slob while working on projects!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...