Skip to main content

August....NO!!!!!!

Summer is winding down too quickly again! Even little Jonas notices how quickly time goes.  He said today, "Mommy, I can remember last summer so well and this summer is almost over!"  Smart boy.   August 1 is the dreadful day, where as a teacher, you must admit that summer vacation is coming to an end.  I can say I am somewhat looking forward to the school year.  All 4 kiddos are finally school age- no daycare $$$ =RAISE for the mama!!  Hooray for that, but my baby Lorelei is starting kinder! :(  Savannah is in her last year of elementary, which is totally shocking because she just seems too young and little!!  Heck she's barely bigger than her 6 year old brother!!  Bailey is turning 13 this school year, in October and that just seems WRONG!  I can't possibly be old enough for a teenager!  And my sweet Jonas does not want to go on to 1st grade.  He loved Kinder so much he wants to stay.  It might be a rough start for him.  And although I am happily moving up from teaching 1st to 4th...I keep having bad dreams that they couldn't move me up and I have to stay in 1st!!!  Oh please no!  God bless you Primary teachers, but it is not for me!!  I am looking forward to teaching 4th grade again.

The last wee has been full of sleepovers, swimming and of course watching the Olympics.  Yesterday both big kids had a friend sleepover, so I had 6 kids to feed and entertain.  But we did OK.  We had a yummy followed by a trip to Sonic for 1/2 price shakes!  Cheap and delish!  Then we watched some more Olympics.  This morning I made some incredible muffins I wanted to share.  I combined two recipes and tweaked it to my liking and what I had.  Here's the recipe!


Banana Nutella Mash Up Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

3 or 4  bananas, mashed (frozen ones work great!  I peel and freeze the brown ones just for this reason.)

1/2 cup white sugar *Could use less or even omit because of the sweetness of the bananas and the chocolate swirl.

1 slightly beaten egg

1/3 cup melted margarine or butter

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups flour

Mash the bananas or defrost the frozen ones in the microwave.  I threw the butter on top and microwaved it all together to soften both.  Then add sugar and egg. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients.  Pour into greased muffin tins.  I like using an ice cream scoop.  Works great and less mess.  Using two spoons, put a small dollop of Nutella (or Pralinutta which is often cheaper and taste the same!) on top of each muffin.  Swirl in with a knife.  Bake in 350 degrees F oven for approximately 20 minutes.



The kids loved them and heck, so did I!!  The chocolate spread stays gooey and delicious.  They almost seems too sinful for breakfast!

I have to admit, this summer I have really enjoyed cooking and baking.  So much so, that I actually looked into classes at the Culinary Institute of America!  BUT... my husband quickly reminded me how much time and the long hours of a chef.  I guess I'll just continue to be Chef Mommy for now!

Well...signing off for now.  We are heading to the beach tomorrow.  Padre Island National Seashore to be precise.  We are actually camping on the beach.  I'm excited and a bit nervous!  Hope it goes well...picture to come when we return!

Now to savor each moment left of this summer...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...