Skip to main content

Creative paralysis....

...has been holding me captive this summer.  It's funny, the ideas are there (thanks to Pinterest and the MANY blogs I read!), but I just have been paralyzed to act on them!  I have wanted to do so many things, but so far...nada, nothing, zilch.  My list includes, but is not limited too...

~painting multiple rooms in the house, but especially the powder room, boys bathroom, Lorelei's and Jonas' rooms.
~sewing curtains for multiple rooms and pillow covers and a quilt and skirts for the girls and skirts for me and napkins for the kitchen and well, you get the picture.
~trying my hand at painting some furniture...using a chalk paint or something like it.
~making many of the projects I pin daily on Pinterest.  Darn you Pinterest.
 ~writing MULTIPLE blog posts (not 2) and starting my own book!

Now what I can say I have done this summer, has been spending time with my kids, mainly swimming and in the kitchen cooking or baking.  I've been sure to try to do a "field trip" a week, or something special outside the home.  It's hard for me sometimes to want to get out of the comfort of my little cocoon at home.  The good news is, my kids are definitely home bodies too.  The kids have also enjoyed many play dates and sleepovers.  I've loved having the extra kids around.  There's always a nerf battle, pillow fight or a marshmallow war with the PVC marshmallow launchers!  We've had dance offs with Just Dance 2 on the Wii, movies on Netflix and lots of popcorn!

I've also done some good organizing around the house.  This weekend I re-arrange both Bailey and Savannah's rooms.  They look great.  Yesterday I spent some time in the playroom re-doing the play kitchen area.  I've tried to do a little something each week...bathroom drawers, a cabinet here, the art center in the playroom a closet there.  There's a lot to still organize, but I have a good start.  I've also done a lot of cleaning.  The stuff you don't always get to.  I feel good about that.

I feel like I have really re-connected with John too.  And although we have not had a single date night, what we have had is plenty of late nights, talking and watching movies, just being together.  I feel bad for him, because so many nights we've stayed up way too late and he has still had to get up for work by 7:00, while I've slept in till 9:30 or 10:00!

Sleeping is something we have definitely done plenty of this summer!!  It's going to be brutal to adjust our schedule when school rolls around again.  Speaking of school...it's starts a month from tomorrow...August 27 for the kids, I go back Aug. 20th.  This might just be the kick in the pants I need to get motivated on some of these projects!  So here's hoping to spending my last few weeks of summer vacation covered in paint and fabric!

Here are some photos moments of the summer.  Photography has not been put on hold this summer.  As a creative mom...it's my job to document our life, to be the family historian.  I love capturing our life's moments on film...


A great visit from my high school and college bestie Danielle!  We had a blast that weekend!

Making lunch special by having a sister's picnic in Savannah's room!

Sleepy Jonas!

Homemade pizza!

Swimming on the 4th of July!

Cosmic bowling!

Crafty Savannah!  She made this almost totally on her own!

More sleeping!  Dual napping here!

And a little more sleeping...

Ready for some professional photography!

McDonald's reward for surviving professional photography!


Portrait Innovations!  Summer 2012 Photo session!

Hanging out in the tree behind the library!
Food Truck fun!  John and his buddy!


Game night...girls!

Game night...boys!

Museum fun...at the Witte!

Lovely summer...
Hope you all are having a wonderful summer too!  Tell me about some of your favorite moments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...