Skip to main content

Supermom...

Supermom...

So I have a YOUNG co-worker (OK, she's young to me...ten years younger, single, childless).  She is a delightful, optimistic young lady.  A fellow first grade teacher.  I love her!  She has some fabulous moms that volunteer and do it ALL!  She is constantly bragging about them...it's just terrific that she already notices how much these women do everyday!!  So...Amber this post is for you!

I think I must have met my "supermom" status today.  Here's the breakdown:

5:15 a.m.: Alarm goes off. About 5 hours of sleep.  Had to wait up for the last load of laundry so Savannah could have an outfit that she wore yesterday, clean and fresh to wear again today.  Only then to remember it was Freedom week at school and she really needed to wear red, white and blue.

6:00 a.m.: Bathed, dressed (in red, white and blue) and ready to pack the lunches.  Been participating in "The Lunchbox Challenge" a la  http://thehappiestmom.com/.  Five lovely lunches packed all before 6:20. 

6:30 a.m.:  Breakfast of waffles with strawberry cream cheese and milk ready for 4 kids (one to go since my Lorelei sleeps till the very last minute!).

*Side note*  Did I mention that I have had a TERRIBLE stomach ache since 10:30 Sunday night...gut wrenching sporadic pain!

6:45 a.m.:  Out the door with 3 kids, kiss goodbye the Middle Schooler (Bailey) cause thank goodness Daddy gets him to school this year! 

7:05 a.m.:  On morning duty in the 1st grade hall...welcomed by the world's largest cockroach that sent all of us screaming like a bunch of girls!!  (Oh...we were a bunch of girls, minus my son Jonas...who thought it was cool!)

7:35: Kissed my own kiddos goodbye (Lorelei still cries every morning at drop off...even if it's in the same building only classrooms away).

7:40:  Switch roles of supermom to 1st grade teacher!!  A day full of fun TPRI (reading)  testing!  YEAH!

*Side note*  Still have a stomach ache....keep on going!

3:00: Switch roles back to supermom.  Pick up, pack up and head out to pick up Middle Schooler from said school. 

4:00:  HOME!!!  Hubby painting away...YES STILL...unpack lunchboxes, snack (brown bag microwave popcorn ) start homework.  Kinder first (Jonas is the easiest!  Read story, logged it and did handwriting page).  Then Savannah...reading and spelling with vocabulary and Bailey MATH!!  Algebra! YIKES!  But we got it.  Throw in a phone call to Pediatrician for Jonas asthma issues and called in Lorelei prescriptions to CVS.

6:00: Homework finished...start dinner and a treat for tomorrow lunches...homemade banana chips (thin sliced, drizzle with lemon juice bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours).  Dinner consisted of turkey burgers, oven fries and raw veggies with dip...served on paper plates! (Does that demote my supermom status?  Oh well).

7:30:  Clean kitchen, finish banana chips. 

8:00:  Bath time...Viola practice for Bailey.  Ready for bedtime...books are already read so I cheat a bit here and let the little ones watch a quiet show before lights out...think Nick Jr.

9:00:  Well, if I would stop typing this blog, I could finish the rest of my evening, which includes but is NOT limited to:  grading papers, giving my husband a haircut ( he's made a 10:00 p.m. appointment with me!) and MAYBE doing some reading or watch a little DIY network.  Nah...I'll probably just crash right to sleep.

*Side note*  Stomach ache finally cured by a simple beer.  I think it's the bubbles...at least it sounds good!  :)

Until next time, this supermom is signing off.  But first I must ask Amber...Do you think I am a supermom too??  Please say yes...I so aspire to be part of the club!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...