Skip to main content

So far...

This summer vacation we've...

Gone swimming a whole, whole lot, in fact it's probably our favorite thing to do.
Small drawstring bag to hold letter stones.

Rock painting by Savannah.

IKEA remake with Mod Podge.

Letter stones.

A ton of crafting by both myself and Savannah.  Jonas has been drawing and coloring daily as well.



 Camping in the newly re-organized playroom!


Lettuce wraps.

Homemade wheat thins.

Yummy country breakfast.
  

Lots of delicious foods we've cook together and enjoyed eating as a family.


Father's Day

Brieley's 3rd Birthday! (she spent the day with us and I frosted her a scary Tinkerbell cake! )

Savannah's 9th birthday lunch at The Magnolia Pancake Haus.

Her birthday dinner was yummy ribs by Nana and a sweet cream cake!

Her daddy picked out this beautiful new bike for her present.


 We've had many reasons to celebrate.

Sunset on the Summer Solstice, June 21, 2011.
These are just a few moments from a mere 2 1/2 weeks of vacation.  Bailey also experienced his first plane trip (that he remembers) and mini vacation with Nana and Papa to Dallas for 4 days.  We've had fun with lots of friends and generally have just enjoyed each other's company. 

I feel refreshed and renewed as a mother...grateful for these 10 weeks of summer vacation to get back to what life is really about...family.

John and I have had time to spend together watching movies and The Graham Norton Show (boy we both LOVE that show and have such a good laugh together watching it!) and generally just more time to have conversation that doesn't feel rushed or urgent. 

Life is slower, mornings start later (we sleep in till almost 10:00 daily).  Lunches are later, dinner too.  The days feel so much longer than during the school year. Does time really move slower in summer? Or is it just I feel more present, engaged in each moment.  It doesn't matter the reason, I just count my blessings and am thankful for every luscious moment of this glorious summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...