Skip to main content

Chaos or Peace...somewhere in between...

Since 3:00, when my job as a teacher ended and my tougher job as a mommy began, I have...
Dropped kids off at my mom's for a short while.
Ran home (3 miles thank goodness) to meet with John and a contractor about a flagstone patio at our new home.
Back to my mom's house to get the kids (thank goodness again, my mom "Nana" gave me the wonderful present of at least bathing the 3 younger ones!).
To Sonic to get the kid's and myself something to eat (hubby called and declared he fed himself, you feed the rest!).
Home to eat, in chaos, noise and kids more concerned with swapping Sonic toys, than actually eating.
Attempted to sit and read a book after dinner (The Happiest Mom...no joke!), barely through the Forward when bombarded by a tirade of questions about one thing or another.
Screams heard from upstairs as Bailey declares Lorelei has peed her pants and his floor!  (Darling hubby decides this one, he'll handle).
Peace...quiet, for a mere moment, moving onto the Introduction of the book, when I hear a odd trickling noise coming from the kitchen...like large amounts of fluid dropping on the floor.  Peace is gone as our "puppy" a 55 pound 6 month old matiff mix, scurries away from the table...and now a blue puddle of Sonic Ocean Water (Jonas and Lorelei's favorite drink, glow in the dark blue!) lay on the floor like a pool.  Hubby again declares he's got it, as he sits with his feet up in the recliner watching t.v. with no sense of urgency to clean up bright blue liquid from the floor.
Floor cleaned under the screams and running feet of the 4 kids having a battle upstairs.  Savannah yells down that Jonas has gotten water everywhere cause he is shooting Bailey with a water gun. 
Peacefully, calmly I go upstairs to pull it together for bedtime.  Lorelei refuses her p.j.'s, telling her beloved mommy "no, no, no", throwing a tantrum, pulling it together, wiping her tears and hugs and "I'm sorry".
It would have been really amusing if I could have recorded the continued chaos in the background, while I was writing this blog...Lorelei cried at least 4 times, and the name "mommy" was spoke 20+ times.
I love how comical it all seems when put into words.  Seems unreal, that I am still sane, or at least not an alcoholic! 
I'm hoping for some peace now...going to turn on Nick Jr. for the little ones.  Let Bailey veg out with his laptop or a book (he can actually read without interruptions!)  and  hope Savannah finds some quiet way of her own to entertain herself.
I'm going to head downstairs and crack open a cold beer and hope I can quickly get through that book of mine...THe Happiest Mom...I WILL BE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...