Skip to main content

Summer Success, Part Two...A bit late!

 Yikes, I started this post a month ago! Guess it's been a bit busy around here. This beauty of a photo was taken the night before Lorelei headed to San Marcos. What a blessing to get one final pool day with my fabulous four. 

I still feel like it's summer even though everyone started school this past week. These 100-degree temperatures are part of it for sure. I think the reality of my empty nest won't hit me until after Labor Day next week. It's the official end of summer, so although I'm late wrapping things up, at least it's still summer based on the calendar. 

In my last post, I shared all about Jonas's Texas 4000 experience. Shortly after I wrote it, Jonas returned home. We met him at the airport and threw him a welcome home party.


We had friends from all stages in his life come to celebrate his big achievement.





The next day, Jonas and I rested before we had to head to Austin and move him out of his apartment into a new one. This was the first of three moves with the return to college. We got a lot done, but he hasn't been able to move into his new place until recently. But we were able to drop his stuff off and take a peek. 



He's excited for this blank slate. He has been thrifting and finding great pieces to make this his own. 
And boy, can he eat. We stopped for all you can eat sushi on our way back to San Antonio. 

Savannah has been "slaying" (her favorite word) it this summer in her PHD program. She didn't get a summer vacation, but we found ways to still hang out. 

She turned 24 this summer! We spent it getting freebies, shopping, and going to the pool with friends. 



It was Father's Day too, so we had a joint celebration dinner. 

She headed out to Minneapolis the next week for a conference. She presented her current research and won an award! The only first year to do so!


She really is doing amazing work. She also won her grant at UT Health, securing funding for the next year of research.

Bailey spent the summer prepping for his big move to Lubbock. We hung out a lot with siblings. 


He and I took a trip to Lubbock to find his apartment. We had a great visit, really exploring the places. 



He found a great apartment and signed a lease. 
He couldn't wait for me to see the Windmill Museum.

This past weekend, we moved him to Lubbock. Lorelei came with me to help with the move. 

Nana and Papa stopped by to say goodbye. 

It's a great apartment. 
Always stealing a sip of my drink since the age of 2!
Jen and Darren were moving Holden in too, and we coincidentally stayed at the same hotel.
One last picture! 

I had lots of Lorelei time this summer. We were definitely buddies. Shopping, pool days, tennis, lunches out, puzzle time, and just hanging out. 






She got a job at the Goldfish Swim School this summer. She also had a "boyfriend" for a few weeks, but that's not my story to tell. He was a nice kid, but just didn't quite work out. 


She went on a coast trip with Brieley, Addison, and Sabrina for the 4th of July. 

The week I went back to work, she took a trip to see her new roomie/college BFF in East Texas. Unfortunately, her car broke down, and we had to rescue her. First, John drove to pick her up; then the next night we went to replace the alternator after it was towed to a small town called Hubbard. What an adventure!

Thank goodness she was safe. 
She spent a lot of time shopping and prepping for her move into her own apartment in San Marcos. Rice maker for the win! 
Saying her goodbyes.





Friends make the best roomies!


My own summer was cut short by a super early return to school. It still feels a bit strange to be in school for the past month. It was a bit strange to go back to school two to three weeks earlier than the kids. 

They have all now had their first days of school. 

Lorelei's second year at Texas State...
Jonas and his third year at UT Austin. 
Savannah and her second year in grad school at UT Health. (with a friend).
No first-day picture with Bailey, but he took a picture of his walk to campus from the commuter lot. He's finishing up his final year, hoping to go to grad school next year at Texas Tech. 

Another year with all four in college! Yay for higher education. I'm so proud of my bunch. 

Now, which team will I be cheering for in college football? Yikes! Probably my Gators! 

Can't wait for fall now!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roaring 20s~Boyen Bunch Style!

Is it just me, or were your 20s the best time in your life? The things I did in my 20s were memorable, adventurous, and not too crazy, but life-changing.   Here's my 20's list of accomplishments: I graduated from college with a BAE and an M.Ed.  I got my first real job (and three more teaching jobs to follow). I got married. We had the best time exploring the world together.  I moved more times than I can count, from Florida to Denver, to Houston, to finally settling and buying our first house in San Antonio. I was active: biking, hiking, snowboarding, playing tennis, and more. I made so many meaningful friendships and connections. I had not one but two kids! I had both Bailey and Savannah in my 20s!  I sure squeezed a lot into that decade. Looking back now, I cherish those years. But you know what maybe even a little more fun? Reliving your 20s at 50+ with your young adult kids.  Savannah has been living it up! She got a job she loves, her own place, and many g...

The days are long...

...but the years are short. I've always loved the saying. One of my favorite authors and podcasters, Gretchen Rubin, is credited as the original author of this quote. I always think about it when another year passes. This year was fast and furious, as I have found all the years to be since my kids became teenagers. It seems like every time I turn around, there's another graduation, major milestone, or life achievement by one of my kids. 2024 had a high school graduation, college graduation, three moves from home to college, from college back to town, from across town, back to home. And the dust hasn't completely settled yet. Gretchen Rubin has another saying now that her kids are grown. Instead of an empty nest, she calls it an "Open Door." I love that too. My door will always be open to my kids and their friends, as it seems like there's always an extra somebody at our house too. It's one of my favorite times.  Thanksgiving break brought some new friends ...

Feeling a little salty...

  It may not look like I'm feeling a little salty in this picture, but  I was. It's June, and summer vacation had just started. All the chaos of May had me feeling a little tired, and I was experiencing what I thought was mild back pain from sciatica. I had noticed a few spots on my back and leg that looked like bug bites. Savannah was over, and we were about to head out to the pool when she noticed a crazy rash on my leg. She FaceTimed my mom, who said it looks like shingles?!?! John didn't agree and thought there was no way. Savannah insisted I go to urgent care. What do you know...I did have shingles. As soon as I mentioned how busy my month had been, that I was a teacher, had a Senior graduating, etc. The doctor said stress is one of the biggest causes of shingles. I was lucky this sweet girl of mine made me go get checked out. I was able to start meds and caught it early.  I did not have time for shingles! Hence the saltiness. That same week was Lorelei's high scho...