Skip to main content

College Era...Back to School 2025


It's about to be October 1, and I'm wondering why September has felt so long, when I know it's a shorter month (okay, just one day).  August felt like it was a flash with all things back-to-school. Starting school for me was easy. This is my 23rd year in Texas, 24th year in the classroom, 20th year in Northside, and 6th year at Wernli. My first week went great! No problem at all. New kids, lots of returning families, and siblings. I love my Wernli team and family. I am excited to be teaching ELA and Science in 5th grade this year. 


I really enjoyed some of our last times together with all four kids before everyone headed out their separate ways. 
The girls came to visit and brought me lunch at school. 
Game night with friends.
Jonas was the first to head out. This kid was ready! He's been excited for this school year. He's in a great biking club called Texas 4000, and he's finally out of the dorms and living in West Campus. 

Getting his keys to his new place. 





Pretty easy move-in. Even made it back from Austin in time to head out to a 50th birthday party with Savannah for our friend and her 5th-grade teacher! 

Lorelei's move-in was next. We had some great helpers, and it went easily, too.  It was a well-planned process by Texas State. 








She didn't have to stay yet since classes didn't start for another week. We grabbed some dinner, and she headed back home with us. Baby steps! She actually came back and forth a few times before classes started. She was going to drive back by herself, but just couldn't do it. Madi and I took her back on Thursday. She ended up coming home for the weekend. Nana and I went back with her on Sunday. 

Sad girl...
Happy girl...needless to say, it's been a real emotional roller coaster that doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. 



Those puffy, tired eyes are from all the tears. Poor baby...but she made it to class! 
Day one of college at Texas State!
Day two!
Savannah's first day in her Ph.D program! That has been an adjustment for her as well. It's a 40-hour-a-week program between classes and lab time.  She's already made some great friends. 
Jonas's first day went well! He took his first day picture with a favorite professor and friend.
Labor Day came, and everyone was home again. 



This girl is always studying! 
Lorelei and Savannah got to see their schools play each other at the UTSA vs. Texas State game! It was a close game, but UTSA won 43-36. They had fun and even tailgated for a bit. 
Lorelei has 3-day weekends every weekend since she has no classes on Fridays. She came to school with me one Friday. The kids love her. 
Jonas and Caressa are Facetiming from campus. What would I do without this kind of technology! I love being able to see what he is up to. 
Lorelei Facetimes almost nightly at bedtime. We are both grateful for that. 
Jonas got his bike last weekend! He's going to be putting a lot of miles on that as he trains to bike from Austin to Alaska next year. I still can't believe he's going to be doing that. I'm so proud of him. 

Last weekend was also Family Weekend at Texas State. Lorelei and I had some "mommy and me" time. Ha!
Our first stop was the outlet malls. Lorelei had never been. We thought we had a unique idea, but there were tons of other Texas State families there. Heck, we even ran into our pediatrician! 
Her dorm room is looking great, at least on her side. Eecks! She has a silent and messy roommate. I don't want to be negative, but it's not going great in that aspect. Her roommate doesn't talk to her at all. It's been hard on Lorelei. She is even considering putting in a request to move and change rooms. 


We have eaten at Kerbey Lane in Austin a few times, but Lorelei wanted to give the San Marcos one a try. It did not disappoint! Cute and delicious. 

I was a brave mom and slept on the floor under her loft bed. Not the best night's sleep, but anything for my girl. 
We went to church with her church group and then headed to the library. We grabbed lunch at the food court.
She has the cutest ice cream shop within walking distance of her dorm. 
It has not been easy for this sweet girl of mine, and I am so proud of her for taking on these hard things. 
Lorelei is home again for the weekend, as I suspect she will most likely be home every weekend. I guess that's the advantage of going to school just an hour away. I love our weekend time. 
I also love when Savannah stops by to hang out too! 
Evidence of Savannah the Scientist! 

Jonas is always sending us updates. He can't come home on the weekends anymore because of his Texas 4000 training. He trains every Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m. He is loving the friends he is making. I'm hoping to make a trip up to Austin to see him soon. 

My nest isn't really very empty, but there have definitely been a lot of emotional challenges for me this past month as we tackle this "college era". I'm praying for easier times ahead with less tears from myself and my sweet girl, Lorelei. Change is hard, college is hard. But we are the Boyen Bunch! We got this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...