Skip to main content

Twas the week before Christmas...

and boy was it busy!  We filled the week with crafts, shopping and doctors appointments!

Doctors visited, included for Lorelei, were the GI and sleep specialist.

Lorelei's doing well!  At the GI we discovered...She'd gained 4 pounds since her last visit in March, weighing in at 35.6 pounds and 41 inches.  She's in the 25 percentile for both.  Not bad for a baby who never made her way onto the charts at all till last September!  She'll remain on both her meds, one for reflux and one an appetite stimulant.

Our sleep specialist was happy we'd had some overall improvement in sleep, especially the going to sleep part.  Now we will continue the work on the staying asleep part.  One of the culprits interfering in her deep sleep is a low ferritin level.  This is the amount of iron stored in your blood.  Her's is incredibly low.  So...we start a new regimen of iron, calcium and Vitamin C with repeat labs in March.  If levels remain low he will refer her to a hematologist.  These levels are directly related to her Restless Leg Syndrome, which is what tends to wake her up at night. 

Still smiling...these doctors aren't so bad!
OK- the crafting and projects over here this week were quite simple with excellent results.  First, there were two kits that produce these....

 The Gingerbread house was assembled by Savannah...and Santa's sleigh by Jonas and mommy!



John has been working on a re-purposing a workbench into a kitchen island for me...

I can't wait to add some finishing touches...it fits perfect for the space!  Great job John...such vision!


This was a simple project with great results...tinting mason jars.  These sweet little containers are no longer food safe, but a cute storage for paper clips, hair clips...etc.



And finally a little sewing yesterday to create another sweet pillowcase dress for Lorelei.  She picked out the fabric.  Cute as a cupcake!
Still lots of prep to be done this Christmas Eve...cleaning, wrapping, organizing.  Christmas Eve will be spent at 4:00 mass, then onto Nana's and Papa's for yummy snacks and a visit from good Ole St. Nick!  We'll wrap up the night...literally, finishing up the wrapping!  We'll tuck in the little ones and then become busy little elves getting everything ready for one spectacular morning!

I'm also looking forward to Christmas night as John and I will host our first Christmas dinner here at our newish home.  We planned a traditional German meal his mother use to make.  A big roasted pork loin with creamed brussell sprouts, spaetzel (a noodle), mashed potatoes, green beans with bacon, mushrooms and onions (that's my Polish grandma's recipe) and homemade yeast bread, if all goes well.  Dessert will be brought by my sister which will include a yummy hot chocolate bar!

So from my family to yours...Merry Christmas.  May your days be filled with love, peace, family, and a little magic!

The Boyen Bunch!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...