Skip to main content

If we take care of the moments...

 


...the years will take care of themselves. (Maria Edgeworth)

What a reminder that life is full of little moments. It's the collection of these moments that make my life extraordinary. And this space reminds me of all the ordinary moments I treasure so much. Another year is coming to a close. 

Winter break is upon us. In years past it was easy to miss the joy of the holiday season. With little ones, we work hard to create holiday magic for them. Things like Santa and our Elf on the Shelf, Finland. With a house full of teens and young adults, Finland didn't appear till Christmas Eve when I realized the shelf looked oddly empty. 

My favorite reminder of time gone by is the photo just behind Finland of the kids so little. Lorelei is just eight months old in that photo. My sweet babies are now kind and caring young people. 

November was filled with many of the usual Boyen activities. We are creatures of habit. 

Thanksgiving...Food, family, puzzles, and conversation at my parent's house. 








The days between Thanksgiving and Christmas blur by. We squeeze in so many things: holiday celebrations, shopping, doctor's appointments, and more. But I'm most excited to share Savannah's big news...

She's finished with her BS in Neuroscience and we couldn't be prouder. She treated herself and Jandro to a celebration vacation in San Francisco. Her last official day of class/finals was December 8. Then she and Jandro headed to the West Coast. They had a fabulous time in San Francisco!




Earlier this week we headed to Austin to see lights and to grab her graduation gear. UT Austin only has one ceremony a year in May, so that's when she will walk, but we wanted to mark this month as her completion! She graduated in 3 1/2 years and that first year was virtual from home because of Covid! She sure did persevere!



One of my favorite parts of winter break is time with each of the kids. 




We squeezed in multiple doctor's and dentist appointments. Lorelei is doing amazingly! She got the go-ahead from the orthopedic to come just once a year now for her scoliosis. Her spinal fusion is looking great, no broken rods. 



Christmas Eve and Day were full of tradition and family.  We spent Christmas Eve at home during the day, wrapping presents and prepping food for my parent's house. We headed to Nana and Papa's for fun appetizers (10 with cheese) and just hanging out. 

Look...with the girls' help, all the presents were wrapped before we left for my parents. That's only happened a couple times. 










Savannah pre-made cookie dough so they could roll out some freshly baked sugar cookies. 



We opened stockings and a few small gifts.




When we got home, Lorelei couldn't wait to give Savannah her gift! A super cute dog lovers blanket from Natural Life, one of our favorite online stores/brands. 


All is calm, but not so bright! Darn tree lights died! 


Christmas morning included John now. He had to work Christmas Eve. We had a slow morning. No one is up at the crack of dawn anymore. 





John won $5 on his lottery card from my parents. 


Savannah put her new milk frother to immediate use. 


My family and Jandro came over in the afternoon for Christmas Eve leftovers and more presents.
 





I gave Bailey a Christmas haircut! He wasn't sure, but the rest of us loved it. Jonas loved his satin pjs too. 


It was a very, merry Christmas. 


We headed to Austin (as mentioned before) after Christmas for a quick visit. I just love it there and take every opportunity to go hang out with Savannah there. 




Lorelei loves a good couch, no matter where it is!



John and I celebrated 27 years of marriage on December 28! Talk about time flying by...
Look at these babies. I was barely older than Savannah and younger than Bailey when we got married. 


There are just a few "moments" left to fill this year of 2023. It's been quite a year. I always cherish the moments in my extraordinary life, the good, the bad, and the ordinary. 

Happy New Year friends...take care of those moments. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even