Skip to main content

Hello Fall!

 


I can finally say that it feels like Fall around here this weekend. A cold front moved through and it's in the 70s! My windows are open and a nice cool breeze is blowing through. My Fall decorations feel appropriate! It's hard to believe just last weekend the girls and I had borderline heat exhaustion from the near 100 temperatures at the UT football game! 

The month of September was all about back to school. I haven't blogged since the end of August. But back to school takes so much energy and adjustment. This week is already the final week of the first grading period. 

Before school officially started I had one last visit by myself to Austin. I helped Savannah finish up some move-in details as well as going to the grand opening of a new indie bookstore in her neighborhood called First Light Books.




 I really enjoyed our time just the two of us. Jonas had the SAT and Lorelei stayed home to head to the first OC football game against Brandeis. She even got a picture with our new Superintendent Dr. Craft. 


The first day of school went well. It's hard to believe Jonas is a Senior! He has big plans this year. He's currently Salutatorian but hoping to slip into that Valedictorian slot this year. If not, he's still pretty pleased with his high school success. He's been applying for scholarships and is hoping to go to the University of Chicago. Harvard was on his list for so long, but then he decided that it might not be for him. Chicago felt like more of his vibe. I'm savoring all my moments with him this year. 





Lorelei is a junior and still diving. Early morning drop-offs at the pool are rough, but she is committed and loves it!

We do get to see some beautiful sunrises!


She's had a few doctor's appointments and is mostly struggling with her narcolepsy. We think we finally found the perfect combination of meds that really help. Her great attitude really helps a lot. 



However, we can't deny there are moments of sheer exhaustion where she feels like no matter what she does, she just can't get that spark she needs. 


She finally got cute new glasses. 


She loves going to football games with friends. I love how she finds the energy for this even if it's a school night after a 6:30 a.m. practice. 


And after school napping has been a big help. 


Time with her friends makes her so happy. I love seeing her grow up and venture off to parties and concerts. That kind of stuff was never in her comfort zone. Watching her explore these new social events makes my heart happy for her. 



We did get hit with Covid this past month. Funny it was the exact same week I got it last year. Savannah got it in Austin, Bailey had it at his house, and Lorelei was sick too, but never got a positive Covid test. John and Jonas dodge it this time. 


We have had a lot of fun family time and some outings.

Nana and Papa went to visit Savannah in Austin. 


I had a birthday burger outing with Lori. 

One last pool visit. 
Dinner with Bailey.

Sushi celebration for my high schoolers! Surviving the first few weeks of school. 


Last weekend was my favorite fall outing so far. Lorelei and I went to visit Savannah in Austin. We had a great time. I just love Austin!



Savannah let me take her ticket to see Rick Riordan, the author of the Percy Jackson series and many other books. Her friends were big fans and I'm actually reading one of his books to my class right now. She happily gave me her ticket, while her and Lorelei went shopping nearby. 


We had a late sushi dinner after. 


We also made a last-minute decision to head to the game UT vs. Kansas!  One we might have regrets about! It was so hot, we could barely appreciate the fun of being at a college football game. 




We did have fun after finding a pickle for Lorelei. She wanted one at the game, but the concession didn't have them. 

Savannah and I got margaritas instead!



I had some self-care this week. I got a haircut, a mammogram, and lunch with my mom and Lorelei. 




October is usually a pretty busy month with Bailey's Golden birthday, 24 on the 24th, Jonas has a college visit to UT on October 27, Halloween, and Jonas's 18th birthday just after on November 2nd. I just told Lorelei I'm sure October will continue to fly by and it will be Thanksgiving before we know it!

Happy Fall Y'All!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even