Skip to main content

Parting is such sweet sorrow,

 


 ...that I shall say good night till it be morrow. 

So true although a bit cheesy, (thanks William Shakespeare), but saying "so long" to summer doesn't have to be full of sorrow when we know summer will always return. And if your summer is full of fond memories and moments, it's easier to say goodbye. The Boyen Bunch's summer was everything I hoped for, especially after such a difficult start. Knowing I am content makes it easier to move on to the next challenging part of the year, back-to-school. 

A Florida vacation was one of the best and most challenging parts of our summer. Challenging you may ask? Well, when the four Boyen children haven't lived together in three years and are now forced to hang out in 900 square feet and travel 14 hours in my Suburban, that can be a challenge! John stayed home to work and watch the dogs. Nana was the mastermind behind this trip. We were headed to a friend's condo in Perdido Key, Florida. She had been before and loved it. I won't bore you with a cliche day-by-day recount, but there were many magical moments. 

We arrived super later after driving 14 hours mostly through rain and storms. I drove the whole way and was exhausted!

The Docks on Old River is an amazing little place. They have rentals available! It was a great location, quiet, and public beach access was within walking distance!
We had an amazing balcony overlooking the "river." Dolphins swam right to the docks. 

Of course, we hit the beach many, many times. 








We headed out on several adventures to explore the area of Pensacola. 

The National Naval Aviation Museum was a hit for some, but not so much for others. 

Independent bookstores are a must-visit!


Ice cream is always Lorelei's first choice. 


The Pensacola boardwalk was a neat adventure. We had a lot of fun in the surf shops that were right off this beach. 

A beautiful day for a dolphin cruise. 



Couldn't be in the Flora-Bama area without going to Flora-Bama, the Bar/restaurant. 

Catching a sunset was all Nana wanted!

Of course, we squeezed in a puzzle.

Our last day was hot, but the best. Jonas wanted to visit a trail in the wetland area. Steamy hot!

Then we headed to the Johnson National Shore and Beach, at Bailey's request. It was beach perfection!

Proof they all still know how to play nice together. 



It's funny how when you look back, you kind of forget the challenging part and only remember the greatness of the trip. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost immediately upon return from Florida, the back-to-school craziness begins. I had meetings, training, retreat day, and classroom set-up. 



Throw in moving Savannah AGAIN in Austin. She found a great little house in Hyde Park. Same roomies, Emily and her boyfriend Jandro. They were tired of fighting with high-rise apartment living, especially with their pups. 

August heat is not nice to move in! But she had some great helpers.  





That heat and hard work will really zap you. Or is he just asleep on the job? 


She barely got herself moved in and then she was off to work on the apartment complex helping with "turn" again! Hard work, but fabulous money. She helps get the old apartments looking brand new again for the new students. 


We also squeezed in Jonas' driver's license test, diving tryouts, haircuts, doctor appointments, back-to-school shopping, and prep day!





This week was busy! It was a teacher work week. Lorelei babysat all week for our favorite families of littles. She's a wonderful babysitter if anyone is looking! But this meant early mornings for the both of us. 



Savannah started her last undergraduate semester at UT. She graduates in December but will walk the stage in May. She has done amazing things at UT. She will be seeking her PHD in the fall of 2024. Can't wait to call her Dr. Boyen!


I'm heading to Austin alone in an hour to have some Mommy and me time with her. Okay, I'm really going to deliver some patio furniture and hit the new bookstore near her house, but it's also some very needed one-on-one time with my big girl! We are both excited.

So...so long summer. I'm actually looking forward to back-to-school and fall, which means parting is not so sorrowful. Until next year...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even