Skip to main content

School Daze...

 

We just finished the 5th week of school and it's kind of a blur. The first week of school seems like ages ago. Now we are into the flow of the school year and the beginning of year newness is wearing off. 

My new 5th-grade team is off to a great start!

Dr. Wernli, our school's namesake, is delightful as always.  It is remarkable to be part of something since day one and to have already built relationships at such a new school. It's our 3rd school year at Wernli already! And we are growing! My favorite part of this year so far is having siblings from my first class of 5th graders at Wernli. 



On the first day of school photos are a must, even in college. Savannah is starting her Junior year at the University of Texas at Austin as a neuroscience major. She's excited to also have an amazing job at the Donnegan Lab at the Dell Medical Center, where she will be studying schizophrenia and the effects of stress in mice. 

Jonas is a Junior as well in high school and continues to love his magnet school, Communications Art. He recently switched to the A/V strand and will be making films this year. He's got a hard course load of  5 college-level classes, two AP/Dual Credit, and three On Ramps courses, which are through UT Austin as well. He is loving the challenge!

Lorelei had a rough start but has finally settled in nicely to school and her routine. She's a sophomore at O'Connor this year. She didn't have any of her friends in her classes, which made her unhappy at the start. But Jonas and I both told her she'd make new ones in those classes and still have the old ones, and that is exactly what has happened. 

We got a burger to celebrate making it through the first week of school from In and Out. 



Part of our new routine for school includes making it to the gym three times of week. Jonas and I are making great progress and I love the energy boost that I get from it. Lorelei has discovered it's her new homework spot. 



Lorelei has her own workout routine with diving three very early days a week! I'm dropping her at the pool before the sun even comes up. It's early but she still has a smile on her face. I'm loving our morning chats in the car on the way to the pool. 




We had some fun-filled weekends too, with visits, shopping, food, and well, very little rest! 

John and I had a wonderful night helping Nicole celebrate her 30th birthday. 




Savannah comes home on the weekends when she can, so we take every opportunity to get the whole gang together. She brought her new puppy, Rio with her over Labor Day weekend. She's a handful but cute! (The puppy, not Savannah!)



It makes my heart happy to have them all just hanging out together. 



We didn't do back-to-school shoe shopping till that same weekend too. We all found what we wanted, including me. 




My new Converse work well to go from school, straight to the gym!


Back to school means it's time for some football! Lorelei is enjoying the Friday night lights of O'Connor football. Savannah loved her first Longhorn football game in a sold-out stadium. My Gators are off and running too. Although I watch from my couch, I'm excited to say I'm going to see my Gators play Texas A&M on November 5! Just buying the tickets gave me a level of excitement I haven't felt in a long time!! 




This week was the most challenging I've experienced in a while. Last Thursday, Jonas and I went to get the newest Covid Booster. I had what I thought was a migraine all day that day. I took my medicine that evening but still had a headache. Friday I started to have some body aches. I assumed it was from the booster. Jonas had a bit of a headache Friday too. Saturday I could barely leave the couch. More body aches, same headache, low energy, but Jonas had no issues. He was off and running on Saturday working on his film project. Sunday morning I woke up feeling much the same. I took a Covid test just in case. I was surprised to see I was actually positive!! Yikes! I got started on substitute plans and was lucky enough to find a wonderful sub. I took off Monday and Tuesday. Cold-like congestion and sneezing had started, with a mild cough, but thank goodness the body aches and headache went away. I did nap every day, which is not something I normally do. 

Monday night I thought I was feeling well enough to make dinner. Well, that was a mistake. I'm going to blame my fogginess, not my lack of cooking skills for the three stitches on my finger. Covid and cooking don't mix! A quick visit to Texas Med Clinic and three stitches later, I was all good. 


John helped save the day!



This week was also Homecoming week for Lorelei, so the timing was terrible. But we got things done.

A homemade shirt for the white lies theme day. She takes after my sister on this one, "I'm always on time!" 


Nana saved the day and took her dress shopping on Wednesday afternoon. It was perfect timing for an early release day. 


Procrastination at it's finest...we made her homecoming mum Thursday night. 




I love seeing her enjoy making these memories!


It's a full day today for a Saturday. I dropped Jonas off at school at 9:00 this morning to help clean up their outdoor classroom and then Lorelei had her first dive meet this morning, a skills meet. She seems to be getting her skills back and she looks more comfortable on the boards. 




Savannah got sick this week too but was negative for Covid or strep. She visited the campus student clinic for the first time. Just a good old-fashioned virus they said. She's feeling much better. She came home to rest, but she's on the go as usual. She just got a haircut and is now taking Lorelei to get her nails done for Homecoming. 

Savannah took Lorelei to get her nails done for homecoming and helped her get ready. 





The curls didn't last long, but she still looked beautiful!














Here's hoping tonight is magical for her! It's her first time going. She just wasn't ready last year. She's growing up! But she will forever be our baby Boyen! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even