Skip to main content

Summer part three...Colorado!

 


I did it! We did it! Our road trip to Colorado was a complete success. It was actually magical. Honestly, I haven't blogged about it because it's hard to put into words. I'm going to do a quick day-by-day account of what we did, and hope it doesn't take the magic away. We took over 200 photos of so many moments. And I didn't share much on social media because I was savoring the moments for ourselves. 

In a nutshell...

Day 1: 

Saturday, July 30-left home and arrived in Lubbock at 5:00 p.m., 6 hours of driving. Explored the city and Texas Tech. 




Day 2: 

Sunday, July 31-Lubbock to Estes Park, Colorado arrived at 7:45 p.m., 10 hours of driving. Cried tears of joy to see our adorable cottage and lodge. Ate at Boss Burgers and Gyros and grabbed some groceries at the local Safeway. 













Day 3: 

Monday, August 1-Slow morning at the cottage, made breakfast and packed a picnic. Headed to Rocky Mountain National Park for 6.5 miles of hiking. Exhausting and exhilarating! Dinner again at Boss Burgers and Gyros because the kids loved it so much. We got it to go and ate on the great patio at the Lodge. 










Day 4:

Tuesday, August 2- Jonas and Lorelei started their day with a hot tub trip. It was the only time to squeeze it in. Then we adventured around Estes Park: coffee, souvenirs shopping, mountain coaster, and great food. I even ran into a previous student from Wernli in front of the Estes Park Town Hall. We drove into Denver around 6:00 to pick up John and headed to our next hotel in Littleton, Colorado the city where John and I lived for a year in 1997. We grabbed dinner and relaxed at the hotel. The kids went for a late swim. 












Day 5: 

Wednesday, August 3-Breakfast at the hotel (it was awful!). We drove around Littleton to show the kids where we used to live. We went to Red Rocks for the afternoon. We had lunch at the best little grill right in the Red Rocks Amphitheater. We headed to Colorado Springs. We arrived at a really unique hotel, called The Academy. We settled in, relaxed, had appetizers in the hotel restaurant, and went for ice cream. 













Day 6:

Thursday, August 4-After an amazing breakfast, we hit the road home. John drove the whole way. We arrived home at 1:00 a.m., safe and sound. 






Since we've been home we've been squeezing in all those last-minute back-to-school things, like doctor's appointments, haircuts, organizing, lunch with friends, quick visits with family, diving, etc. 










Jonas went camping with friends, Lorelei saw Mean Girls with Brieley and we made a quick trip to Austin one last time to see Savannah and Emily and their new puppy Rio before school starts. We squeezed in a lot of fun, in a very short time in Austin.





We went to IKEA too for some things for their apartment. What a hoot that was!










I'm super sad to see summer end, right when I was getting the hang of relaxing and living in the moment. Seems like it takes me the whole summer to wrap my head around that concept, and when I finally do, it's over. When will I learn!?! 

Back to school starts tomorrow...ready or not!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even