Skip to main content

Me time...finally.

A little background about my writing. I think about this post all month. I try to come up with a clever title and theme to base my writing on. Sometimes I get so caught up in the conceptualization that I just put it off. Then like homework, I sit down on the last day of the month to put words to "paper".  It's my birthday month and I have been trying to focus a bit more on myself, so that was the concept floating around in my writing brain all of January. Here goes...

I'm not a fan of the term "self-care". It feels selfish in a weird way. I like to think of it more as working on myself. I try to find time to do the activities that I love. It doesn't happen every day, but I do have some simple things I like that make my life a little easier. 

Last year the kids and John created the perfect little coffee station for me. Every night before bed I set it up so my coffee is ready first thing. Actually, I do three things every work night before bed, set the coffee maker, pack my lunch, and lay out my clothes for the next day. These three things are for my "future self". They make my mornings easier. 

Every night I take a bubble bath. You know, the luxurious kind that some people take every once in a while. I take one EVERY night. Lots of bubbles, candles, and sometimes for as long as it takes for my toes to prune up, and before you know it an hour is gone. This is one of the only times I catch up on social media, like Facebook, Instagram, emails, Twitter, anything I can do on my phone. My family knows and expects this to happen nightly. This isn't something I've always done. It's only been in the last few years since everyone has been teens and needed me less now that I can do this. 

I read daily, an audiobook on the way home from work and on my Kindle before bed (sometime after dinner if it's a good book!). I listen and read the same book. This helps me get through them quicker. Especially, since some nights I fall asleep before I even finish a page of reading on my Kindle!

I love Podcasts. That's what I listen to on the way to work. I have several I love, Smartless is my current favorite, followed by Happier with Gretchen Rubin

I light scented candles and decorate for each holiday. It's little and simple but makes me happy. I thought I used to do it for the kids. I now realize I do it for me! I love it. 

I love cooking at the end of the day. I meal plan and shop on Sundays to make the week easy. When I come home from work, I know exactly what to do. I have tons of tips on meal planning and cooking from scratch, so ask away if interested. 


As a caregiver, I want everyone else to be taken care of, but sometimes at my own expense. It has taken me years to learn how to prioritize myself. But with age comes wisdom right? And now that I'm 49 I'm practically a genius! I'm looking forward to working on even more "self-care" this year. 

This month I found more time for me, okay, and the kids too. I'm also trying to add more "fun" to our regular routines. I feel like January offered us a little of everything. 

I don't just love coffee at home, we love getting coffee out. Sunday mornings before we drop Jonas off at work we sometimes grab a coffee. 

Lorelei's homemade frappuccino is pretty close to a coffee shops!





Coffee and homework for Lorelei, reading for me. 


We had a wonderful afternoon downtown at The Pearl MLK weekend. We were supposed to go to Austin to see Savannah, but she wanted to come home instead. She insisted that we still do something fun. It was a beautiful winter day for being outside. 






I bought myself a little early birthday gift at Ten Thousand Villages, my favorite store at The Pearl. They have handmade gifts from around the world. I bought some additions for my reading room, the woven bowl, and the star banner on the lights. It was the perfect addition to my favorite room. 


We had a very welcomed bad weather day, no school on a Thursday. Talk about me time! I read all day, cooked weird things like bacon and johnnycakes. It was so nice!


This weekend was the big birthday weekend and I loved every minute of it. It started on Friday at school where my team surprised me with decorations and treats. 





Savannah came home Thursday night and Bailey came over Friday night! I love getting to see my big kids! 



Saturday we had eye appointments. Lorelei got contacts! After the kids went their way John and I had a mini "date", shopping, and lunch. 



That night, Jandro came over and since I had never had real ramen before, decided he must get me some for dinner! It was the perfect gift...a new experience!



Yesterday was truly a gift itself...my 49th birthday! It was fabulous from the moment I woke up till my 9:00 p.m. birthday cake. 

John got my favorite, Dunkin!


Jonas got me an Air Fryer.


Lorelei followed the Boyen tradition and decorated the table for me. 


She got me bath things from Lush.


Savannah got me a new lunch bag, coffee mug, and cute hair things!


We had a great outdoor lunch at The Block food truck park. I love food trucks!





I got my free Starbies a.k.a Starbucks (only old people call it that!) with the girls!


Savannah made me a cake. 


My boys! 


Bath done and ready for bed, but it's cake time! Funny enough, I have an almost identical picture from my 46th birthday! We had a good laugh over that one. I'm in the same pajamas, hair is done almost the same way, the only difference is I'm wearing my glasses and the cake! I even posed the same!



So here's to me! And here's to a great 49th year!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even