Skip to main content

Big Changes...the never-ending month of August!

It is sometimes a bit unreal to think about how a month begins and how the month ends. How could so many little and big things happen in such a short period of time? The beginning of August feels like a lifetime ago: enjoying summer, swimming, going to the beach, and just enjoying time as a family. The end of August is all about back to school and some big changes for this Boyen Bunch of mine.

I think this was the last time I went to the pool. Lorelei was babysitting the Esquivel kiddos (who we love!) and decided to take them to the pool. 



We found a night where we could all be off and go celebrate Savannah before she headed off to Austin. It was a perfect evening at The Rustic. 







One of the big changes this month was what I will refer to as "The Big Switch." Since Bailey and Savannah have both moved out, for the most part, Jonas and Lorelei decided they wanted the bigger rooms. I'd love to tell you all the room switching is done, but we ran out of time and the upstairs is still a hot mess. I won't be able to share completed rooms until the next blog post. 

Lorelei moved partially into Savannah's old room. She got a new bed to help with her upcoming spinal surgery for her scoliosis. It's an adjustable bed. We actually got an amazing deal with The Mattress Firm (and no I don't have a sponsorship! I wish!).




Savannah moved into Jonas' old room. It never looked so good! Ha! Poor Jonas just didn't quite have the style to make it look like this. 

Lorelei was such a helper with all the cleaning and prep. 




Jonas has been working on his room for almost all of July and August. It's close to being done but still needs some finishing touches. He's actually got a bit of calm, natural style going on, with a minimalist touch. 


We squeezed in a day trip to the beach. It was a great day of sun, fun, family, and friends!








Lisa happened to be at the beach that day too and made her way over to see us. 


We had breakfast dates, dentist appointments, shoe shopping, and room shopping. 






There were prep days for both the kids and myself. 


 
A fun retreat day with my Wernli friends!


Back to my classroom...

We had a small going away for Savannah before we headed off to move her into her student apartment at UT Austin. 






We arrived bright and early on Wednesday of my teacher workweek. We accomplished a lot quickly! 





We had a break to eat at least! We loved Kirby Lane!









She was happy here to be finished, but the tears flowed when we left her. A piece of our hearts now lives in Austin. 

We had pretty great first days of school for the most part. Jonas pretty quickly figured out that leaving Comm. Arts was a mistake. He wrote a heartfelt email to the principal who loved how he advocated for himself and said come on back. 

The first day of high school for both of them really...in person! Lorelei a 9th grader and Jonas a 10th grader. 

Here's my happy guy with a second first day of school, back at Communications Arts High School. 


We've been tired for sure but took the first opportunity we could to go visit Savannah this past weekend. We had a lot of fun. 








And let's not forget during this month I put my classroom back together and started my own school year with 4 full classes of 5th graders. 










I'm so happy to be part of this amazing team of teachers!



My heart is full this month,  but my mind and body are exhausted! Last night I was fast asleep by 8:30. Tonight I'm scrambling to make my own monthly blog post deadline. 

Good night friends...goodbye August! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even