Skip to main content

Sweet 16 on summer solstice...

For the last year, since acquiring her driver's permit, all Savannah has talked about was getting a car when she turned 16. John said he would try, but let's get real, although every parent may want to meet their child's heart's desire, it isn't always possible or in their best interest. Her argument has been that Bailey got a car. My argument, he was 17 not 16, and my dad gave it to him, not me and John. Argument null and void! Lorelei had the idea we could still get her a "car". It is certainly a "car" but maybe just not what Savannah had in mind. She woke to the traditionally decorated table and family room, ready to open her "gift"!





John had the added idea to wrap a set of keys. As funny and clever as we thought we were, Savannah was NOT amused! After the initial disappointment, she did admit to it being a little funny and she would definitely laugh about it later in life, looking back on her Sweet 16.

Savannah was very indecisive about her 16th birthday. At first, she was sure she wanted a big party. Then she decided, maybe just s few close friends over. Finally, she said, "I just want to hang out with you guys and Luke." So that's what we did. A simple day of Starbucks for her free birthday treat, shopping for her real present...a pair of Chacos (an expensive pair of outdoor water shoes that are all the rage with teenage girls!), sushi for lunch and dinner with Luke. They were going to go out on a real date, but they decided on Pei Wei take out and an indoor picnic. Savannah wanted to take a few pictures to capture the moment.


These two are too cute, silly and goofy too!






Savannah shares her birthday with the Summer Solstice and so far our summer has been pretty low key, since Bailey's graduation.  We've celebrated Father's Day and my niece's birthday, but not much else. It's right about now that the kids finally find their summer groove. Our days are filled with pool time, occasional outings, and lots of hanging out at  home.

I'm happy with how well all four of them are getting along this summer.


Big versus little...an yet, just 18 months apart!


Father's day donuts from Lorelei.


Goofing around...


Brieley turned 10!


Savannah has her first  official camp starting Monday morning. She's in Camp Neuro, it's a medical camp for high school students interested in the medical field. Savannah's main interest has always been Neurology. The camp is through the University Health Science Center. Each day will focus on a different neurological disorder. She'll get to see patients, hear lectures, dissect a sheep's brain and practice sutures on a pigs arm! Plus, she'll get her first set of scrubs! 
Dr. Boyen...you are wanted in surgery! 

Lorelei has had diving Monday through Thursday for the past two months. She's made wonderful progress and has her first competition July 6!

The Boyen boys have been up to a whole lot of nothing! Bailey is enjoying his last relaxing summer, before heading off to Texas Tech. Jonas loves his extra time for video games, art and cooking! He loves whipping something up in the kitchen.

July is just around the corner...looking forward to the 4th and the summer fun still ahead for the Boyen Bunch.

Comments

  1. Sweet 16 indeed!
    Summer holds great joys and adventures. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even