Skip to main content

The hardest part of Christmas...

...is that it ends. There's so much build up, preparations, anticipation and then suddenly, it's 11:00 a.m. on December 25th, and for the most part, it's all over. It makes we wonder if the better part of this deal isn't the advent days...the special, fun days counting up till Christmas. I was telling Savannah today, that the 12 days of Christmas start on Christmas day and go until January 5th. The holiday season seems to start on November 1 and comes to an abrupt halt on December 26. We decided to keep the Christmas decorations and tree up until the 5th, to savor and celebrate the whole holiday season.

By far my favorite activity with the kids (or even all by myself!) is hot chocolate, movies and the cozy fireplace. We cuddle up with a blanket, and watch Christmas movies, the good and the bad ones! The boys loved providing commentary to the romantic ones. The past few days we've watched a variety of flicks, kid and adult friendly. I just love it.

We spent a lot of December "elfing around", fun shenanigans that help in any way with Christmas. December was also full of many memorable moments, concerts, Bailey's acceptance into Texas Tech and even a snowfall!

Finland our elf , and his sidekick Spritely, had a lot of fun this season.




They really like Lorelei's poetry project for school based on e.e. cummings' poem, "little tree."


Although we found out quickly through e-mail that Bailey was accepted to Texas Tech, the official letter and welcome package came a week or so later. He also received a letter, with a merit scholarship offer for academics! He is thrilled to be a Red Raider!


December means holiday concerts. Jonas tied for 1st chair violins. Stinker never even practices!


Savannah's concert was the very same night. As soon as Jonas finished, we jumped in the car and headed to her's.


We had a couple Christmas parties this year. Lorelei's the only one who still has school parties. Nana was able to join her for the festivities.


John and I cleaned up and headed out for a lovely 5th grade team dinner party. Nothing better than yummy food and friends.


Savannah was my shopping buddy this year. It was wonderful to spend time together, just her and I.  We got all our shopping done in one, very long day! Thank goodness for generous students and gift cards. We were gone so long we had to have two meals out!


Christmas Eve crept up quickly. Nana outdid herself again, with a delicious spread of goodies and special gifts. The kids always say, Christmas Eve at my mom and dad's, is their favorite night of the year.








Christmas morning is so much calmer these days. No one wakes up at the crack of dawn. They are excited, but love their sleep too. It wasn't a huge Christmas. There were gifts, but I have found as the kids get older, there's less under the tree. They need less, they want less, and are just as happy.


Gifts from Santa are always extra special.


Lorelei was thrilled that Santa brought her an American Girl Doll, MaryEllen from the 1950's...her very first one. She played all day long with her.




We had a quiet day. Everyone really enjoyed playing with their new toys or video games. Savannah and I cracked opened some "bubbly" (sparkling apple cider) to accompany our movies! We curled up all afternoon watching movies.


The day after Christmas the girls and I headed out to take care of Christmas returns and exchanges.  Not too many...but enough to make a Starbucks stop necessary!


Yesterday John and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. Lorelei made us sleep in. We could hear the clinking and smell something cooking. Lorelei was hard at work, by herself, making us an anniversary breakfast. She is so sweet and thoughtful.



It's plenty cold outside, and even colder weather is heading our way. We have just a few more days of break and I'm thrilled for the excuse to cuddle up and stay close to home.  

Stay warm friends...enjoy these last few days of 2017.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even