Skip to main content

Most magical two weeks of the year...

I really love this thing we call "Winter break", as both a teacher and a parent.  Typically, I use the first week off for Christmas prep, and the second week is all about rest and recovery from Christmas. This year was no different.  

I settled into the break nicely, balancing down time, fun time, feed them time and prep time.  The t.v. was stuck on the Hallmark Channel for the 5 days before Christmas, one cheesy Christmas movie after another.  This is one of my favorite parts of Christmas for sure.  It's funny too, how each kid took turns watching with me.  They'd just be passing through the family room and then suddenly be hooked.

For the first time in 17 years of parenting, I actually had all the presents wrapped during the day on Christmas Eve and was not stuck wrapping into the wee hours of the morning.  I still stayed up late, watching Lacey Chabert in one Hallmark movie or another.

Christmas is beginning to change a bit at our house as the Boyen kiddos begin to grow up...still magical, but different.

Day One and even the cat Callie seems to know a "time out" is due.


Lorelei said, "You know what will really make it feel like Christmas break? Eating soup from a mug!"  She's a genius, I know.


The count down...


This was my favorite Christmas spot in the house.


Oh gee...it's another new Hallmark movie.  If you insist!


We did a little holiday craft...salt dough ornaments.


Finland came through as usual on Christmas Eve with new jammies for all.

 
Picture proof...notice it daylight out still and all the presents but Santa's are under the tree!


For the first time I told the kids they could decide for themselves if they wanted to go to Christmas Eve mass.  Sadly we have becomes one of "those" Catholics...C and E, Christmas and Easter.  When given the choice all four said yes.



Tradition continues with Christmas Eve goodies to eat, stockings to open and a visit from Santa himself.






It's the only Santa the kids will actually sit with.






Off he goes...I love Savannah's face in this picture...too old to fool anymore, but playing along anyway.

Lorelei still loves our elf, Finland.  She gave him a goodbye hug...see you next year Finland.


Looks like Santa came to our house too!



Christmas morning starts a little later each year as the kids grow up...9:15 this year.

Jonas wanted to buy this Santa Gator for me since he saw it back in October!  Go Gators!





Lorelei is always so grateful and overjoyed with delight for any little or big gift she received.  I love her grateful heart.  Can you imagine, Santa brought her another doll!!


Round two with family...

After all the fun we took a bike ride to see some lights...this might have been my favorite part of the day.

The rest of the week we stayed pretty low key.  Watching too much t.v., daily bike rides, playing with new games and dolls, library visit and grocery shopping.  Lorelei had fun getting all dressed up, just to head to Sam's.  This girl is something else.  My little shadow, which is why there are always so many pictures of her.  She's always by my side.  Momma's girl.


Geez...they are taking this relaxing thing a bit too far...no couch is safe!


New Year's Eve is a night we love because we either have extra kids over or just hang out as a family. This year it was just us. John whipped up his yummy and famous chicken wings with some help from us.

We took all the Christmas decorations down, but I decided to leave out this little tree in place of our Christmas tree.  I think I'll put some hearts on it next month.  I just wanted to leave a bit of winter decorations out to keep the warmth and spirit of the season alive.


We always watch the town light up on NYE...the view of fireworks from our front porch is amazing.
Lorelei and Savannah were trying to video the view.



One last tradition to welcome the new year...a toast of Sparkling cider at midnight.


Goodbye 2016...it was certainly an unforgettable year in history and media.

Hello 2017...cheers to the possibilities!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even