Skip to main content

September

It's always amazing to me how suddenly, out of nowhere, it's September.  August flies by faster than any month of the year.  With the wrapping up of summer vacation, and the beginning of school, August is full of moments of anticipation and anxiety.

The end of August brought the first days of school...

My eager freshman, Savannah found the first week of school challenging and slightly overwhelming. After the second week, I think she's feeling more into the groove and going with the flow.



Jonas and Lorelei are off and running in 4th and 5th grade.  Jonas wasn't loving the new schedule in 5th grade initially, but he's found his groove too, and is loving having two awesome teachers this year.



Bailey is just an old pro...he's a junior this year and gets to enjoy such advantages as off campus lunch.  He's almost ready to get his driver's license.  A few more practice hours and he'll be off to take the test.  He's still loving his job at Kona Ice and managing work and school pretty well so far.




Our morning routine this year has been so much easier.  I credit that with Lorelei's new medicine. Since she started taking a prescription medicine to help her sleep and relax her restless legs at night, she wakes beautifully each morning, ready to go.  The morning sky in Texas is enough to inspire anyone to get out of bed and get going.



Off we go...


We are so excited about this first sign of fall...our pumpkins are growing!  Last year, in our annual tradition of smashing our pumpkins down the hill in our yard, Lorelei apparently made sure a hunk of pumpkin made it into our flower bed.  Imagine our surprise this summer when John pointed out our tiny pumpkin sprouts.  It's in full bloom now and we can't wait to see how big our pumpkins will be. We've been blessed with plenty of rain this summer, so it should be a success.  There are around a dozen blossoms.  We will keep you posted.




One of my favorite signs of fall...college football!  The #25 ranked Florida Gators had a slow start last night, but it ended in a great win 24-7 over Massachusetts.  I love Gator football and never miss a game!  It gives me something to look forward to every Saturday of fall.



Jonas announced earlier today, with complete shock in his voice, that this week is the 3rd week of school.  It's been a harder start for me than most years.  There's plenty of new things to get used to this year: new grade, new team, new curriculum, new rotation schedule, new classroom.  Fresh and new can be lovely, yet overwhelming at times.  Just this week, I finally felt like I was settling into things. This three day weekend couldn't have come at a more perfect time.  I love the way a weekend slows down so nicely, with that extra day off added, especially since it'll be spent with family tomorrow.  My mom and dad are having us over for a cookout, and I'm sure there may even be a little game of kickball!  Our favorite...

Happy Labor Day friends...enjoy the extra day.  And a great big welcome to September and fall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...