Skip to main content

Life is hard...and other ramblings, like Bailey turning 16!

Yesterday evening sucked.  There are no other words for it.  Monday morning Jonas woke up with a swollen face on one side, coincidentally the side with a cracked tooth.  It'd been hurting him on and off for a few weeks.  The dentist saw him for a cleaning and a check up, barely making mention of the cracked tooth.  Now this...

 
Luckily he has an appointment with the oral surgeon at 3:30 for a whole other issue.  Maybe we can work out a package deal! The dentist called in clindamycin, a very strong and nasty tasting antibiotic.  He could barely get down one dose and then threw up his second dose.  
 
Throw into the mix my newly turned 16 year old Bailey, had Region Orchestra tryouts at O'Connor till 9:00 p.m.!!  The good news, he got first chair!  The bad news, he has a huge Lord of the Flies 3-D map project due today.  He did not finish and will have to accept a deduction on his grade.
 
Lorelei has been a real pill lately too.  She's been sassy and full of attitude.  She threw a royal tantrum at bedtime last night, which resulted in me not cuddling up with her and putting her to bed, like she likes.    
 
Life's hard, whether your are 8, 9, 16 or 42!
 
Savannah's been good though!  Nothing exciting with her...thank goodness.
 
These are just the little things that make life hard.  I haven't shared on the blog some of the bigger life struggles we've been facing at our house, and I'm still not sure I'm ready to share.  I know there's hope and our future looks bright.  Our family is strong...I am strong.  When the time is right, I'll share more on this.  Until then...I'll stay positive, hopeful and encouraged, that things will turn around.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
We did celebrate this weekend...Bailey turned 16!  I couldn't be prouder of the man he is becoming.  He's not driving yet, and doesn't even have his permit.  He's just too busy with school and music to worry about those kinds of things.  Although, I'm sure he'd love to have his driver's license, so he can go on official dates with his girlfriend!
 
Grinning at Maddie!






 
He wanted an at home sushi dinner.  My mom and dad came of course. Everyone worked together in the kitchen and just enjoyed hanging out.  Pretty low key celebration, just the way Bailey likes it.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
October has flown by and writing is frequently, not my top priority, but after nights like last night and still dealing with the little issues of the day to day, writing grounds me.  It gives me that much needed reflection to see things aren't all bad.  In fact, things are pretty amazing.  It's the extraordinary life I get to live.
 
Other ordinary moments from October...
Four little pumpkins for my four little pumpkins!

Photo bomb by Lorelei!

O'Connor's Spaghetti dinner gave Savannah and Bailey a chance to play together!


Pantry remodel went great!  Some obvious cleanup still, but John did an amazing job!

YOSA at the Tobin.  First concert of the season.  Where's Bailey!?!

Neighborhood pumpkin patch visit.


School events, like the Fun Run!

National Night Out started the month off right...



 
 
Deep cleansing breaths of cool, fall air, will keep me grounded.  There's a beautiful full moon and Halloween is Saturday.  Jonas turns 10 on Monday, November 2 and then things will slow down for a bit before the major holidays take over again. 
 
Maybe I won't run away from home like I said on FB...no one said life would be easy. ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even