Skip to main content

Mayhem 2018...almost there.

Sometimes, even I have trouble keeping up with my own life. A dear friend Melinda and I were having coffee a few weeks back. I love catching up with her, talking about life and all the things that make it wonderful and hard all at the same time. We were talking about writing and books, something we both love. I told her I still feel inadequate to write a book about something, because I'm not truly an expert at anything. She simply stated, "Jen, you are an expert at juggling!" And she didn't mean flaming torches, although that how it feels some days. If I drop just one thing, it could all go down in flames. But she was right, I have found some crazy way to keep this Boyen Bunch all up in the air.

The month of May is a true juggling act around here. I have jokingly called it "Mayhem" for the last two years. As the kids have gotten older and into high school and middle school, it seems that every possible activity, birthday, concert and event is shoved into one month. Let's not forget the part where I'm a teacher too, and it's already an exhausting time of year for us. I'm not exactly sure how I've become an expert at "juggling", but I think I finally have my topic for my book...more to come on that! (I'd tell you my secrets to this balancing act here, but then you'd have no reason to read my book!) Honestly though, I'm not even sure how I do it sometimes, but I do know it's not always with grace and often it's down right ugly. Our full schedules lead to lots of fun and memory making, but we are definitely looking forward to summer, where we all can slow down and enjoy downtime. Only 13 days to go!

Lorelei had a fun outing with Girl Scouts.



And she had her final Fiesta Parade and party.



Savannah was inducted into the German National Honor Society.



And she had her Orchestra Banquet with Luke.



Lorelei has really progressed in diving. We are now working at an amazing Northside facility that was used to train the US Olympic athletes before Rio! She's now diving 4 days a week for 2 hours a day.



May brings two Boyen birthdays! Lorelei turned 11. We had a pizza bar and Marbleslab ice cream for family time and she had a small Boho styled sleepover party with friends.










John's birthday was the day of her sleepover ended. He is such a good guy to always share his birthday so graciously with Lorelei.


Lorelei had Camp Gladiator at Garcia. It's a day where the 7th and 8th graders help the incoming 6th graders, show them around and guide them on what to expect as middle schoolers.


Teacher appreciation week is something I always look forward to in May.


We were off to the Solar car races after a delay in April. I'm so proud to say we had a Carson team place 4th out 371 teams! The best part, it was Lorelei's team, the Jumping Giraffes!



That same weekend was Mother's day. Savannah following tradition, had the table set for me with a gift.


I took my mom for Starbuck's...no kids! It was a great morning.


More gifts were waiting when I got home.


My creative boys...Bailey composed a piano piece for me and Jonas (who's totally into the Simpson's right now) drew me this amazing picture.


Lorelei saw this porch pillow and knew I just had to have it!


This week has been equally full. Jonas had his GT field trip to Sea World. I helped chaperone.



This weekend has been packed with activities. After the field trip on Friday, I had Bunco with my teacher pals. Saturday, after my usual piano lessons, I chaperoned Jonas' orchestra group to the NISD Gym, to get them ready for their concert last night. I ran with Bailey to get him a stylish new do for prom. Back home to get his tux on and send him off to prom.
Finally John and I had "date" to Jonas' Mark Woods concert series called "Electrify Your Strings".

Before...


After...Prom ready!




Can you find Jonas is the 1,000 students! It was quite a show!


I always have a bit of anxious excitement before each family event, and then breathe a little sigh of relief when we have successfully completed each wonderful moment.

The rest of the month is equally full. Savannah has two more concerts, two doctors appointment next week, Lorelei's 5th grade activities. Thirteen days...till Lorelei's 5th grade promotion. The real kicker...just 4 weeks till Bailey graduates from high school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even