Skip to main content

Did you know...

...that even though I love to share the happy and special moments of the Boyen Bunch, my real favorites are never photographed. Like tonight...we had homemade sushi for dinner. All four of my highly intelligent children could not figure out how to roll the sushi! Seriously, each one made the same mistake of putting the seaweed on the bamboo mat the wrong way. It was comical. We ate together, like we usually do and had interesting conversation, like we always do. We have some really weird, wonderful and sometimes totally inappropriate dinner conversations! Bailey told me since I was his favorite mom (his favorite thing to tell me), he'd help me with the dishes. I really love the day to day of our life, more than even the special days. This spring each moment seems extra special, as I realize Bailey will be gone next school year away at college, and these everyday times will not be the same.

Bailey and I got to double date with our music teacher and her husband to see a phenomenal organist, Cameron Carpenter.  Bailey got an opportunity for some personal backstage time with him. He was truly amazing.



Jonas got to show off his research skills with his GT project, The Pork Predicament, at the GT Expo. He's a natural when speaking with others.



Lorelei had her very first strings performance and now joins the ranks of musician with the rest of the Boyen Bunch.



Eater seemed so early this year. But we had great weather and wonderful family time. The kids were in rare form, super silly, happy and just fun.








Just last week was the infamous STAAR test, our state standardized testing. As a 5th grade teacher, I have to administer it, and as a 5th grade student, Lorelei had to take two test. Savannah also had her English STAAR test as a high school student. Jonas will have his in May. Bailey will have all AP test this year as a Senior. Testing is exhausting for sure.


After the last test on Wednesday, Lorelei wanted to head to the pool, (our second time this Spring). The water was FREEZING! Can you tell she enjoyed relaxing and warming up in the sun?

 
We ended the hard week of testing with our 5th grade field trip to SeaWorld. It was different this year, chaperoning a gaggle of girls, instead of the boys, like last year. John convinced Lorelei to get on a GIANT roller coaster! I still don't know how he talked her into it. She made it...she hated it and cried, but she did it!



Imagine my little Lorelei at the top of that roller coaster!


I'm not gonna lie...this month has been a real challenge at home. Although tonight's been nearly perfect, there's been a lot of attitude, arguing and downright rudeness from this Bunch of mine. Two teens and two tweens means a lot of hormones and emotions. Someone is always fussing with someone. I even took off one Saturday, with my mom and Jonas, just to keep my sanity. I realize that as much love as there is, between the six of us here at home, we can also drive each other berserk. One of the best ways I found to keep everyone getting along, is trying to take time with each kid alone, time with John, and letting the kids have friends over. This weekend I woke up to three extra girls on Sunday morning. Lorelei had two friends over and Savannah had her bestie, McKenna. Extra kids help mix things up and keeps all of them on their best behavior.


Saturday, John and I had a hot date to Sam's and Walmart! We take our time together anyway we can. We aren't big on spending a lot of money eating out, so we had a hot dog and soda at the Sam's food court. I love these simple moments. I don't need a five course meal (although I'd still love it!). I know one day, we won't have to feed and clothe four kiddos and we will be able to afford that fancy five course meal.

I even had a quick date with Jonas on Sunday. I took him for a haircut, a bite and drink at Starbuck's, and Barnes and Noble for a book. I told him if he cleaned his room without any arguing, I'd treat him. It worked! I never feel too bad about bribing the kids for chores, especially since I don't give them an allowance. We came home and everyone pitched in around the house and yard, with cleaning and organizing. It was a perfect weekend...and I only took one picture.

Did you know...that no matter how difficult and challenging raising a large family can be, I always look for these moments of happiness and peace to remind me, that the chaos is temporary, and just part of being in the Boyen Bunch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even