Skip to main content

Ordinary moments...

"Time is a flowing river. Happy those who allow themselves to be carried, unresisting, with the current. They float through easy days. They live, unquestioning, in the moment."~Christopher Morley, Where the Blue Begins

Ever since Bailey turned 18, and all this college stuff started, I just sit in shock of where we are in life. I can't stop reflecting on these moments and how much they mean. John said to me a few weeks back, that I amaze him with how nothing really phases me (HA!). I looked at him and laughed. He said he doesn't know how I do it. It made me think. What is it that I do that makes it look as though nothing phases me? The quote above nails it. I go with the flow and live in the moment. I rarely think or plan any further than a few days, or week ahead. I look at each day individually. I also think of each ordinary moment as well...something extraordinary. These last few weeks have been full of magical everyday moments.

We started off our Thanksgiving break with a road trip to Lubbock to visit Texas Tech University.  The drive was so interesting, filled with wind turbines, cotton fields and oil drills. It was flat, with buttes out of nowhere and the bluest skies I've ever seen.


Our new favorite hotel, (not that we travel much) is Embassy Suites, and the one in Lubbock didn't disappoint. It was quite unique!




Lorelei wanted to play "Go Fish" but forgot to bring cards, so she made her own. She beat me twice and John once. We think the cards were rigged.


The breakfast buffet was delicious as always and the best part...I didn't have to make it! Our room was right off the courtyard. 


It was a cool crisp fall day. It truly felt like fall on campus. Leaves were changing colors and falling everywhere.




The architecture and sculptures all over campus were amazing. We all fell in love with Texas Tech!


Thanksgiving was soon after we returned home. My mom, as usual, hosted a beautiful dinner. 



We are always so grateful for her wonderful cooking. 



Thanks Nana and Papa!


Even though I said I wasn't read to embrace the holidays...well, I did! Even Bailey was surprised with how quickly I had up the Christmas decorations. We decided to go ahead again with our 4.5 foot Charlie Brown tree. We considered buying a new and larger tree this year, but I have to admit, there's something about this small one that I just love. 




Our elf Finland promptly arrived on December 1...I loved the look of awe Lorelei had.


For the very first time, we took both girls and Brieley, my niece, to see The Nutcracker. It was beautiful, as are these three girls!


As you can see in the photo (sandals times 3) Sunday, the day we went to see The Nutcracker, was rather warm, so you can imagine the surprise of our whole city when it snowed on Thursday night! I mean real snow...not "Texas" snow, but white fluffy snow that accumulated to nearly 2 inches and even lasted overnight.






It was magical...much like my life feels right now, in these ordinary moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even