Skip to main content

Simply summer...

The days have slowed and are for certain longer. There are no real schedules to follow, no real structure to our days. We have slept, went swimming and had plenty of fun in the sun. The first few weeks are sometimes difficult to adjust to. The sense of togetherness is a bit more than our usual school schedule. Suddenly, we are together, all day, almost everyday in summer. Occasionally someone has a friend or two over, or goes somewhere with a friend. But for the most part...it's a whole lot of togetherness. This can sometimes cause some tension, or let's call it what is it, fighting! With two teenagers and two tweens, there's a whole lot of attitude going on around here! Seems like lately, someone is always fussing with someone. Then for fun...the four of them join forces and gang up on me! But...it usually all settles in around the 4th of July. We all figure out how to fill our days, how to get along, and how to appreciate downtime. Last week, we had a family adventure that went really well. Just a fun day trip to the Hill Country, but for the most part, it was a nearly perfect day, weather and all. As of now, there are no big trips planned for us this summer and that's OK. Hopefully there may be a camping trip and another day trip or two. I'm up for suggestions! I'm also up for keeping things, as simple as they have been in the last month.

Pooltime is our number one favorite summer activity...with and without friends!




My favorite activity has been catching up on all my magazines! I still love reading magazines more than anything else.


There's been time for outings...sometimes just us girls, sometimes just Jonas!




Lorelei participated in her very first camp...Twilight Girl Scout camp. Every night for a week, from 5-9 p.m. she headed off to camp. She loved it!


Jonas got some alone time thanks to camp!


There's been plenty of Starbuck's treat too, thank to all the Teacher Appreciation gift cards I received!


There's been a lot of this...probably too much! But much deserved down time.


Father's day was s great day for John and the kids. Unfortunately Bailey had to work. Lorelei made him a wonderful breakfast.



We headed to Boerne to enjoy some nice weather and feed the ducks, fish and turtles on Cibolo Creek.



After we went to my mom and dad's and had burgers to celebrate with family. Trooper, my sister's puppy joined us. He's one spoiled pup.


Of course, June means birthday month too. We have the three birthday's in one week...Brieley's on June 20th, Savannah's on the 21st and we end with my sister's on the 24th. We went to Grimaldi's and swimming with Brieley for her birthday, a tradition for the last several years.We haven't celebrated my sister's yet, since she headed to Ohio for her 30th class reunion.

Savannah celebrated a few times with a night at Fiesta Texas with friends, her actual birthday at our house, with her daddy's famous wings, dinner at Grimaldi's with friends and a sleepover after.

Savannah turned 15!!





In honor of both Father's day and Savannah's birthday we took a day trip to Marble Falls for lunch.
We ate at the Bluebonnet Cafe.



After we headed to Kingsland and an area called "The Slab". It's a low water crossing on the Llano River. It was a perfect day...beautiful blue Texas skies, the water was cool and the temperature wasn't scorchingly hot yet.





I read a great little article at the pool one day, from my Magnolia Journal. The article was called "Invincible Summer" by Shauna Niequist. She talks about the joys of slowing down in summer. She really nailed the idea of how summer makes you feel...happy and free. She says, "Summer is wide open, spontaneous, playful." I couldn't agree more. As a teacher, I think we feel even more invincible in summer than most. But regardless if you work in the summer, or are free to be, (like me!)... enjoy the simple pleasures summer has to offer. Happy summer friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even