Skip to main content

The trouble with elves...

This post was started 12/13/15...

The trouble with elves is they take a lot of time! I'm referring to the ones on the shelf, as well as the ones in my family that keep me guessing! Phew...I started this blog post nearly 2 weeks ago. 

We've been on the go this month.  So many performances fall in December, it definitely keeps our musical family with a full schedule,  There's been a lot of "elfing around".  My stress level has been up, I've been cranky and over extended.  That's not a surprise as a working mom of 4 right?  The holidays are frequently viewed as a stressful time.  Knowing that one of my best ways to de-stress is to write and reflect, I figured...I better sit down and get to it!  

Reflecting on these moments help me to realize, all the running around and chaotic schedules are worth the memories...


Taco Bell...yep, it's one of our favorites when we are on the go.  Not gonna lie!  Even Nana will eat it!

It's Jonas' turn!  This guy was literally an elf for the school musical.  He really took to the stage and thoroughly enjoy being in the musical.  He was a natural!



The musical kept me busy too, since I was assistant director.  But all the time put into it was so worth the final product!  I love the theater!  (Even if it's in a school cafeteria!)


 The whole family came to show their support!



We girls had a few opportunities to see some real concerts, like Jim Brickman at The Empire Theater downtown.

Bailey was once again part of the Region 11 concert.  He was first chair viola this year, with a lovely solo.  These kids always amaze me.


Handsome guy right?  Maddie his girlfriend was standing over my shoulder making him smile!


Savannah and Bailey had their school Christmas concerts on the same night!!  Bailey graciously told us to go to her concert instead.  What a great big brother!  Savannah was wonderful!



This semester, as I have mentioned before, I had a wonderful student teacher, Renee Dominguez.  I had an opportunity to be part of her graduation award ceremony/celebration.  We had a fun time celebrating her success.


We capped off the last days of school with Christmas parties at school.



This weekend...my sister generously took us to see Josh Groban.  It was another fabulous girl's night!



Now back to that Elf on the shelf...if you are one of the many "Elf Haters" out there, now would be the time to stop reading.  Thanks for reading about the Boyen Bunch!  Now move on...

If you are all about childhood fantasy and magic, keep reading...

Our elf Finland made his return in early December and has been filling our house with joy and mischief ever sense.  Now our elf, isn't "watching" to see if they have been naughty our nice.  In my house, we don't use that idea of the elf on the shelf.  We are simply housing him during his busy season, providing him some positive love and attention from his assigned kids.  I think Finland knows how kind and caring the Boyen kids are, even if they are having a naughty moment.  They are human children after all.  Now Finland is a pretty simple elf...not too many shenanigans from him. This year though, he has a new friend.  Jonas made him a present last year, a little pine cone elf.  It appears, Santa's magic worked on him and now he's Finland's sidekick!  We named him Spritely. He's been a nice addition to our Christmas season.  They've had some fun...







Jonas wrote him a letter full of questions...Finland graciously wrote back.





I just love seeing the joy of my children's faces, searching for their elf and the surprise when they make a prediction of where he might be in the morning and then he's actually there!!!  Lorelei saw the container of candy canes and just knew Finland would love it and bet he might be there in the morning!







Finland and Spritely's time is almost done.  But the joy and magic they brought these last 20 days, is worth all... the trouble with elves.

Merry Christmas, Love...
The Boyen Bunch

Comments

  1. Awww! I made your blog! I'm glad you were able to come! your elf is hilarious! I laughed out loud with him scanning his face! Brianna wants to invite an elf in our home next year after hearing all the fun you guys are having! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even