Skip to main content

October 1...Fall is here!

It's been awhile.  If you look back at my history of blogging, September is always a month with very few posts.  Blame it on being back to school, after all blogging isn't my full time job...teaching is!  Finding a topic to write about in the midst of being knee deep in school is often difficult for me.  I'm trying something different today.  As I type this post, my entire 3rd grade class is watching it on the overhead projector.  I'm attempting to model for them the process of writing and editing.  Our lesson today is on using "voice" in our writing.  I've been told by several of my readers, that my "voice" is loud and clear in my writing.  Sometimes, I don't even realize my voice is ringing through my writing, but having voice in writing is about letting your own personality shine through your words.


One of the main points I really hope to get through to my kiddos, is that writing is an art.  Writing is taking your creative thoughts and ideas, to paint a picture in the minds of their readers.  No detail is too small to share.  The reader needs to understand and feel what you are feeling at that moment. I've avoided writing/blogging lately.  My own creative thoughts and ideas have not been flowing...darn that writer's block.  I feel like, if there isn't anything interesting going on in real life, then there isn't anything to write about.  As I just told my class...no one is giving me great prompts like they get!! 

In a previous post, I talked about how my head is full of writing ideas, more than most.  Instead of to-do list's and worries, I'm writing fabulous, life altering stories. (OK, maybe not, but you get the idea!) Unfortunately, my head is full of to do lists and worries, and not writing ideas. September is a month that is about adjusting to a life after summer.  More events on the calendar to keep track of, and you all know I stink at keeping track of a calendar!!  I've already double booked myself more times than I can count, including today.   Yet, the month flew by and here we are, October 1st.

Jonas mentioned he couldn't believe it was October already.  He said he remembers it just being New Year's Eve.  The days seem long, but the years fly by, right?  Bailey turns 16 this month...talk about years flying by.  He's not driving yet, and hasn't even signed up for his permit.  He's in no hurry to drive.  School and music keep his time filled.  I'm kind of ready for this, as I could certainly use another available driver in our house. 

Although September was not anything to write home about (haha!), there's been plenty of meaningful moments...


Just about every morning we are greeted with this beautiful sunrise, making it worth while to head to school early.


Hanging out at home on the weekends always equals fun family time.


First concert of the school year with Bailey, first chair varsity with a solo.



We had a fun early morning rally at school.  Lorelei isn't thrilled because she doesn't like all the noise.  It was certainly energizing!




Teachers can be really silly after Rally's, especially on an early release day!



Pretty picture day curls.



I've been needing LOTS of coffee this month to keep me going!  This was a Friday night cup, so I could make it through a family movie!!



Apparently in September it's National Daughter's Day.  I jumped on the band wagon and took this pretty picture.



Lorelei pulled "a picnic with mommy" from our grab bag.  She helped out with so many Sunday chores that she got to go to our family grab bag.  She decided on a bedtime, milk and cookies picnic!




I tried super hard to capture the super moon...oh well.



We volunteered to add a new member to the Boyen Bunch...a tiny rescued kitten we named Cali Krissa.  Delilah is adapting pretty well to her. She only wants to eat her sometimes.



Welcome October, hurry up fall weather,  and bring on the pumpkin spice everything!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even