Skip to main content

Trying new things...






When summer starts to get a bit mundane, why not mix things up a bit by trying a few new things.
These two tried out the Home Depot free kids workshop.  They definitely want to go to it again.



Lorelei is going to try out some overalls for school this year.  She HATES certain kinds of clothes on her body.  She has some sensory issues and finding clothes that she likes is really tricky.  These overalls were on clearance at Walmart for $5.00!  I won't be so mad if down the road she doesn't like the feel of them anymore.

 


I tried something different, I read a book from cover to cover in one night!  I just picked this up off the new release shelf at the library.  I've done yoga on and off for about 15 years, so I figured, why not.  It was an amazing read. I highly recommend it, even if you only have the slightest interest in yoga.  She has a great story woven into life tips, recipes and of course, yoga poses.  I've started doing yoga again daily at home.  Trying to create a new routine for myself.  After only one week of daily yoga, I already feel more relaxed and a great sense of peace.  Breathe...




Those of you who know me well, (Nicole!!), you know I'm not that great at keeping up with one of these...a planner.  I know some of you out there couldn't live without it, but I have a history of buying one and using it for a month or two, then the rest of the year is blank!!!  I bought a cheap one at Target (but pretty and practical!), knowing if I didn't use it as planned, I wasn't wasting a bunch of money. Similar to Lorelei and her overalls! ;)  My August is filled already.  I've got 3 of these going now...my dry erase calendar in the kitchen, an electronic calendar on my phone with an app called Jorte and this.  Let's see if it lasts!


Jonas is trying something new in his room with his Legos.  He's worked all summer on this project.  He's done it mostly on his own, with a little help from Savannah.  He sorted by color and type, like a few drawers of mini figure parts, weapons, wheels, etc.  He's worked through it one mixed bucket at a time.  I'm proud of his project and think he'll really love his new system.  He's not completely done yet...he's going to label the drawers and has one or two more mixed containers to sort, but I was so proud of him coming up with the idea and tackling it on his own.

Speaking of proud...Check out these food photos Savannah took of dinner last night!  I told her she should take all my pictures for my blog!  Her photos are way better than mine.  She has an amazing eye for perspective.  These pictures were taken with the same camera as my other photos, an LG G4 phone.  I decided early this summer to try something new and switched from my iPhone 5s back to an Android product.  I chose the LG because of the camera!  Obviously I made the right choice.  I think Savannah should try her hand at photography.  She's a natural.





And the final new thing I'm going to try to do is a weekly blog post, no matter how small.  It's not for my readers, but for myself.  I have a very small following, mostly friends and family, but I do get traffic from strangers others, on  Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.  I really enjoy blogging and have a great sense of satisfaction when a post is complete and published.  Read along... I'd love to know what you're thinking, what you are up to.  Feel free to comment!!  I'd love to hear about the new things you are trying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even