Skip to main content

Our week as vegetarians!


Over Spring break, I was bored Thursday afternoon and decided to check out a documentary on Netflix.  I watched half of a food documentary on myths about vitamins, processed foods, etc.  I forgot the title.  Interesting, but not that engaging.  I looked for another one and landed on Vegucate. Wow...interesting, startling, moving enough I decided to try it out...being a vegetarian that is!  Bailey was game too.  In fact he challenged me to see who would fall first!  Now, I knew going vegan was a bit too much for us...no dairy, eggs or fish, so vegetarian was a bit more realistic.  Let me start by saying, we already eat meat free two-three dinners a week anyway, so,this shouldn't be that difficult.
And it wasn't really...
John was game too.  By default the other kids were vegetarians this week too, although I think Jonas had a turkey sandwich for lunch Monday.  
The meals were a complete success.  John said I hit it out of the park with the new recipes!  
Tuna pot pie.

Salmon and potato cakes, recipe from Better Homes and Garden.

One pot tomato and pesto pasta.

On Wednesday, Bailey had a UIL competition, so we had Dominoes.
Veggie and cheese pizza of course!

Simple bean and cheese tacos with Guacamole.


I have to admit...these meals were delicious and easy.  But by Friday, Bailey and I were having a bit of tummy troubles.  Too much fiber I guess! :). 

Yesterday morning we called off the meat less challenge.  Bailey doesn't know it, but he ate meat first.  We had a great morning together just the two of us.  He had his high school orientation at Health Careers!  Yes...you heard me, high school orientation.  I have a child starting high school in less than 6 months!  We were both highly impressed with the school.  It's incredibly small and a very unique magnet school.  His freshman class will be small, the whole high school has less than 1,000 students.  It's like a private school environment?  A lot of the staff has been the 20+ years.  His new orchestra director has a Ph.D!  Her primary instrument...the viola!  We knew this was the perfect school for him.  After orientation, he had to get some labs draw and of course, we were in the medical center area so it was right around the corner.  We stopped at Starbucks after for a late morning treat.  Bailey was eyeing their breakfast sandwiches with meat.  He looked at me and said, "Are we still doing the meatless thing?"  I told him no...go ahead.  Enjoy the sandwich...you deserve it!  He said it was delicious, best breakfast sandwich he ever had! ;). I had a cheese Danish...so I still hadn't had any meat!  Last nights dinner finally broke my meatless streak...I had lasagna with meat sauce.  Although it would have been fine without it, it was a frozen Marie Calendars lasagna John had bought.  

I'm planning to keep up as many meatless meals as possible, but think I'm not going to ban it from my diet altogether.  Plus my growing boy needs the protein.  Him and I agreed we were hungry all week!
 
I also found an awesome app last week that helped me with recipes and the meal planning called Mom Meals 365...powered by Food on the Table.  I highly recommend it! (No they are not paying for this...I wish!!)  This app lets you create a schedule of meals, generates the grocery list from the recipes, let's you load your own recipes, searches the web for recipes and even has a database of recipes right there.  A neat feature I haven't tried is the "on hand recipe search", where you can list 4 ingredients in your fridge or pantry and it will search for recipes to match.  You can even search recipes by sale items, as it can link to your closest grocery store too!  Love it!  I'm looking forward to this weeks meals. 
Look good right!?
 
Have a great week friends...
 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even