Skip to main content

Catching up...Part One, Spring Break Family Road trip.

I started this post on March 25...If I had finished it then...it would have been over 3weeks since my previous post.  Writing/blogging have been on my mind weekly, sometimes daily.  But, I've pushed it to the side.  Unlike many wonderful blogs out there, mine is not income earning, nor my "career", it's just for fun...a little hobby.  I'm a working mom...a teacher.  And since my last post, I've been knee deep in test prep at school.  We just finished those tests (STAAR) last week.  Thankfully, we had Friday off for Battle of the Flowers, a part of San Antonio tradition, Fiesta.  It was a welcomed break as is tomorrow.  I have another day off thanks to my student teacher. She gets to experience the whole day by herself and I get a free day off!  I might even let the kids play hooky with me.  We'll see.

I do have lots of things to share and pictures too, of course!  We'll start with our first family road trip for Spring Break.  Wow, what a success!!  It was a great and memorable trip.  We traveled through 9 states and visited family in 3 different cities.  A lot of time was spent in the car for sure, but I made these cute entertainment baskets to keep the kiddos busy!  They worked...we only watched about 4 movies the whole trip (22 hours there, 18 hours home).    Our first stop was Gibson, Georgia to visit John's brother Eddie and his wife, Lori and their kids, Hagan, Emma and Alyssa.  It was a lot of fun and the kids were instant friends. 

Car activity baskets, made with Dollar Tree finds.  The metal cookie sheets worked as lap desk, magnet boards and dry erase too!

Ready to go...we left at 10:00 p.m. Friday night, March 8.  Everyone was freshly bathed and in comfy jammies/clothes.

Our first stop was Gibson Georgia!  We spent the weekend with Uncle Eddie, Aunt Lori and all the kids!

The Boyen cousins!  Lorelei was mad because we couldn't stay longer.

Still smiling!
 We headed out to our second destination...Rock Hill, South Carolina.  We were visiting the area because we are considering re-locating there.  Yes...considering.  No final decision has been made.  Unfortunately, our first morning there began with car trouble.  We spent most of the morning getting it fixed.  (*Side note...it ended up being a $400 temporary fix.  Two weeks after we got home, the trouble returned.  After a week at the dealer, all the lifters on all 8 cylinders had to be replaced!  Thank goodness we have an extended warranty.  It would have been $3700, but instead was $200.)

Bored at the car shop!


We had some lunch in the area, and then headed to the lake. 
She loved her "dog rolls"...AKA Hush puppies!

Lake Wylie, SC.

A great little park on the lake.


Jonas and Savannah couldn't resist putting their feet in even though it was quite chilly!
We definitely thought it was a beautiful area and are seriously considering moving there.  Wells Fargo has a center in Fort Mill that most of his team works from.  I'm looking into jobs in the area as well.  We'll see what happens!

Our next part of the trip was to head into North Carolina to see John's mom and dad.  We made a stop at one our favorite mountain areas...Chimney Rock.
Daffodils on the side of the road!

Beautiful mountain stream.

It was cold!!!



Chimney Rock, North Carolina
 We made it to Grandpa Boyen's just in time for more food!  Grandpa Boyen wanted Golden Corral.  The kids had fun and enjoyed dessert!  Cotton candy!
Yum!
Breakfast was more sugar!  We headed up to the mountain house to see John's mom.  
Krispy Kremes in Hendersonville, North Carolina

Visiting Grandpa Boyen
 We really enjoyed our visit.  It was great seeing Grandpa!

Grandpa Boyen!
 Now, we decided last minute to surprise my grandpa who lives just 2 hours away from Grandpa Boyen.  I texted my Aunt Tammy back and forth, hoping to catch Grandpa at home!  We did!  We surprised him by ringing the doorbell!  We had lunch and just spent some time chatting before we headed back home.
Last stop, lunch with Great Grandpa Johnson in Morristown, Tennessee
 We arrived back in San Antonio on Saturday, March 16.  We had a wonderful experience.  And I cannot say it enough, my kids are great!  They we such troopers on the trip...even dealing with a broken down car.  I was proud of them and can't wait for our next trip!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even