Skip to main content

August....NO!!!!!!

Summer is winding down too quickly again! Even little Jonas notices how quickly time goes.  He said today, "Mommy, I can remember last summer so well and this summer is almost over!"  Smart boy.   August 1 is the dreadful day, where as a teacher, you must admit that summer vacation is coming to an end.  I can say I am somewhat looking forward to the school year.  All 4 kiddos are finally school age- no daycare $$$ =RAISE for the mama!!  Hooray for that, but my baby Lorelei is starting kinder! :(  Savannah is in her last year of elementary, which is totally shocking because she just seems too young and little!!  Heck she's barely bigger than her 6 year old brother!!  Bailey is turning 13 this school year, in October and that just seems WRONG!  I can't possibly be old enough for a teenager!  And my sweet Jonas does not want to go on to 1st grade.  He loved Kinder so much he wants to stay.  It might be a rough start for him.  And although I am happily moving up from teaching 1st to 4th...I keep having bad dreams that they couldn't move me up and I have to stay in 1st!!!  Oh please no!  God bless you Primary teachers, but it is not for me!!  I am looking forward to teaching 4th grade again.

The last wee has been full of sleepovers, swimming and of course watching the Olympics.  Yesterday both big kids had a friend sleepover, so I had 6 kids to feed and entertain.  But we did OK.  We had a yummy followed by a trip to Sonic for 1/2 price shakes!  Cheap and delish!  Then we watched some more Olympics.  This morning I made some incredible muffins I wanted to share.  I combined two recipes and tweaked it to my liking and what I had.  Here's the recipe!


Banana Nutella Mash Up Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

3 or 4  bananas, mashed (frozen ones work great!  I peel and freeze the brown ones just for this reason.)

1/2 cup white sugar *Could use less or even omit because of the sweetness of the bananas and the chocolate swirl.

1 slightly beaten egg

1/3 cup melted margarine or butter

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups flour

Mash the bananas or defrost the frozen ones in the microwave.  I threw the butter on top and microwaved it all together to soften both.  Then add sugar and egg. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients.  Pour into greased muffin tins.  I like using an ice cream scoop.  Works great and less mess.  Using two spoons, put a small dollop of Nutella (or Pralinutta which is often cheaper and taste the same!) on top of each muffin.  Swirl in with a knife.  Bake in 350 degrees F oven for approximately 20 minutes.



The kids loved them and heck, so did I!!  The chocolate spread stays gooey and delicious.  They almost seems too sinful for breakfast!

I have to admit, this summer I have really enjoyed cooking and baking.  So much so, that I actually looked into classes at the Culinary Institute of America!  BUT... my husband quickly reminded me how much time and the long hours of a chef.  I guess I'll just continue to be Chef Mommy for now!

Well...signing off for now.  We are heading to the beach tomorrow.  Padre Island National Seashore to be precise.  We are actually camping on the beach.  I'm excited and a bit nervous!  Hope it goes well...picture to come when we return!

Now to savor each moment left of this summer...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even