Skip to main content

Dinner Time

There are a lot of moments in parenting that I truly enjoy, but dinner time is definitely one of my favorites.  The research is true...

"The statistics are clear: Kids who dine with the folks are healthier, happier and better students..."
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1200760,00.html#ixzz1LRLHS3Au

And I think they forgot to mention how much FUN family dinners are, especially with the Boyen Bunch involved.  We have nearly ever dinner as a family dinner, with the occasional night missing John due to a project or me due to an outing, but those are few and far between.  This weeks dinner's have been memorable. 

Monday:  Mini meatloaf, over roasted potatoes and corn.  John didn't join us till near the end of the meal due to a home improvement project, which required a quick trip to Home Depot.  The interactions between Bailey and Lorelei had me laughing so incredibly hard that I actually cried, which then really confused Lorelei!  Bailey's sense of comedic timing can be impeccable!  But honestly, you would have had to been there to "get it".  I think even John thought I was "losing" it when he got home...something about mommy having a break down!!  It all started when the family of deer who live in our yard were eating out of the deer feeder, at the same time as we were.  Lorelei didn't want to scare them away, so she was whispering to everyone to "Use a quiet boice".  No it's not a typo...she says boice!  Bailey chimed it with his silliness...every time Lorelei said "shhhhh",  he and his tween humor would say "it".  And man would it make Lorelei mad!!!  Inappropriate...sure, but funny just the same!!

Tuesday:  Dinner out at local burger joint called Babes, Old Fashioned Food.  Lorelei's 4th birthday dinner,  to boot...KIDS EAT FREE!!!  Started outside...got too cool, so we headed back in, which made Jonas mad.  He gave me evil eyes and was planning to just be difficult.  Food arrives and now he's mad cause Bailey is sitting on one side of me and the birthday girl on the other. Plus, Bailey stole a french fry and FYI, you DO NOT take food from Jonas.  It's his passion, his love...this boy eats with sheer delight and  no one better mess with his food.   I feel a couple eyes staring at us from a nearby table, a slightly older couple...feeling a bit judged about how I'm handling Jonas and his anger fit.  So, as the food arrives and John gets it situated, I take Jonas outside and have a "talk".  He pulls it together, we head back in and dinner proceeds.  The couple with the staring eyes get up to leave and actually comment to us about having 4 kids!  "Wow your brave, 4 kids!" says the husband to John. I answer "some days are hard, some days are easy!"  We finish with conversation about Bailey's camp at the middle school and other happenings of the day and head home to cupcakes and "Happy birthday to Lorelei!".

Wednesday:  Roasted whole chicken, mash potatoes and corn on the cob (OK, similar to Monday's, but the kids love corn and potatoes!).  The nicest part was that John made the whole dinner with Savannah's help!  She set the table and put tiny red flowers in with the silverware, that was nicely wrapped in the napkin.  While this was going on, I did something I NEVER do...took a short nap!! How nice! The conversation was again about the happenings at school, and how Solar cars (an after school enrichment program I help run, that Bailey is in and Savannah helps with) is coming along and just general chit chat about our day.  Lorelei chimes in that she HATES the green stuff in her potatoes (chives) and Bailey tells her she hates everything and should stop hating things.  She slyly and quietly says under her breath "You hole".  Yes, she called her brother a "hole".  She then asks me "Is hole a bad word mommy?", "Not exactly Lorelei, but it certainly was not a nice thing to call your brother."  John says, "Hey, that's pretty good...think I 'll start calling people holes!"  GREAT! 

It's only Wednesday, wonder what the rest of the dinners this week will bring!!??  Never a dull moment, huh!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even